Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: First engine start question with 582

Default First engine start question with 582

Hi guys,
    The day has finally come, engine break-in. My question is my little 582 has oil injection, but how long will it have to run before it gets any oil in the fuel? My thought was to go ahead and add oil to the fuel as well. Good idea or bad? I also wonder about the oil for the rotary valve. Is there a way to pre-oil it? Any other issues I need to look at before I turn the key?
    Thanks,
    Jay

Default Re: First engine start question with 582

There's a bleed screw on the side if the oil injection pump. Make sure you bleed all the air out of the oil supply lines and filter uo to this bleed point, and you should be good. Mixing at first isn't a bad idea, but I never did. I've had good luck with the injection pump.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    There's a bleed screw on the side if the oil injection pump. Make sure you bleed all the air out of the oil supply lines and filter uo to this bleed point, and you should be good. Mixing at first isn't a bad idea, but I never did. I've had good luck with the injection pump.
    Thanks Paul. Any chance you have a LEAF catalog you can take a photo of the bleeder and text me?
    jay

There is also a bleed screw on the side of the crankcase to bleed the air out of the rotary shaft compartment. Get the oil out of there as well. This is really important on a inverted engine, more so than the Kitfox upright engine mounting. JImChuk

Here's what you need. 582 install manual. Covers much of what you need to know and do. Bleed the oil injection system and Rotary valve chamber. Check your alignment marks on injection lever and housing. 100:1 mix for initial test run as per Rotax.

I use 50:1 pre-mix "True Fuel" in my primer system.

https://m.cps-parts.com/cps/pdf/d00287.pdf

Once you are to a flying stage make sure to verify the injection delivery.I have seen injection set per the manual that are delivering an average 100:1,
    70:1 seems to be a better ratio.The 582 is an awesome engine but takes a little more understanding and care.

This is probably some good reading as well. Rotax oil injection is a variable rate "ratio" delivery system.
    https://www.cps-parts.com/cps/pdf/Part45.pdf

Good reading. Thanks! Now I'm starting to wonder if I even want to run this thing so late in the year. It's just going to get pushed further back into the barn in about three weeks. Then it gets too cold and dark to do anything. And I still have that little fabric patch on the fin to do...

With the momentum you've got going, you should run it. It'll be good to know your motor is all broken in and ready. Plenty of good flying time left this season, even if you don't like the cold.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Still trying to find a CFI and catch up on not flying for almost 30 years. A lot has changed fellas!