Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flap sensor location

Default Flap sensor location

I have an Advanced Flight System (5600). Tomorrow will be installing an AOA. The heated pitot tube from AFS suggest an flap sensor. Does anyone have pics as to where the location is for the flap sensor. Thanks in advance. Tom

Default Re: Flap sensor location

Don't know of anyone using a flap sensor on a Kitfox for AOA. Most of us Kitfoxers with AOA calibrate it in the landing configuration (1/2 flaps is fairly common) and leave it at that. No flaps or full flaps only changes things by about +or- 2 mph. If the AFS system has the ability to adjust AOA settings for more than one flap setting that is cool. If you really want a flap sensor I would think mounting a couple of microswitches under the console to sense flap lever position would do the job.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I don't see any reason for a flap position sensor. The position of the flap handle tells you exactly where they are. If you need more information you can turn your head either right or left and use the visual flap position sensors built into you head.

Once you set up your AOA it doesn't require any other inputs to work properly. The AOA gives its information regardless of changes in weight, angle of bank, flap settings, etc. That's the beauty the AOA.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I have the AFS 5600 and have installed the flap sensor front of the flap lever. When there is no Flaps in the switch is closed and when any flaps are used the switch is open. The Advanced Flight Systems AOA has multiple configurations based on how much lift your wing is providing(Flaps/No Flaps or a continuous flap range). You calibrate the AOA in each configuration. There is quite a difference in AOA with and without flaps.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

I agree with Scott. Flap setting changes the wing shape and therefore the critical AOA, so for best accuracy it must be calibrated in each configuration. I took the simple route and calibrated it for 1/2 flaps, my normal landing configuration. Since it is a compromise between no flaps and full flaps the accuracy at those lesser used landing configurations is hardly noticeable, at least on the Kitfox.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I would appreciate an pics That was my original question

The pics show the control tube in the no flap and first position of flaps. The Advanced 5600 is configured for flaps by using one of the 3 open/closed contact inputs and labeling it "flaps". In the no flaps position you can see that the control tube is not contacting the switch arm while in the other pic the switch is activated.
    Attached Images Attached Images