Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: condition inspection

Default Re: condition inspection

Kitfox does build SLSA I currently own one. They do not however have ELSA Kits, and you can not build a Kitfox ELSA. You can take an SLSA and covert it to an ELSA. Why would someone do that? If I did that then once converted, I could add an Auto Pilot, or I could add the Bush Gear Legs, or I could use the STi Wing. As long as it is an SLSA, the owner can not make any changes to the aircraft, without written permission from Kitfox.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Homebuilt Kits, would be under ELSA Designation IF Kitfox offered them!
    Kitfox does build SLSA.

Aircraft that are Classified SLSA: Can have Annual done by IA, A&P, or LSRM-A
    1) HAS to be Built by the Factory

Aircraft that are Classified ELSA: Can have Annual done by IA, A&P, or LSRM-A
    1) It is a SLSA that was built by the Factory & Converted via Paperwork through the DAR to and ELSA
    2) If the Factory offers a ELSA Kit of one of their SLSA Models - you can build the plane as an ELSA. However, it must match the Standards specified by the Factory for their ELSA in every way

Aircraft that are Classified Experimental Amateur Built - that meet Light Sport Catagory EAB (LSA): Can have Annual done by IA, or A&P
    1) Almost any Kit that has SLSAs, and a lot of designs that don't have SLSAs can be built as an EAB (LSA)
    2) However must mee ALL of the Light Sport Specifications as spelled out in the Regulations for a Light Sport:
    Max. Gross Takeoff Weight - 1,320 lbs (1,430 lbs for seaplanes)
    Max. Stall Speed - 51 mph / 45 knots CAS
    Max. Speed in Level Flight (VH) - 138 mph / 120 knots CAS
    Seats - Two (max.)
    Engines / Motors - One (max. if powered.)
    Propeller - Fixed-pitch or ground adjustable
    Cabin - Unpressurized
    Landing Gear - Fixed (except for seaplanes and gliders)

Quote Originally Posted by dcsfoto View Post
    the only way for a Kitfox to be an SLSA is for Kitfox to build it.

They do not have a kit under the SLSA rules.

David Kelm
    Last edited by Paul Z; 08-12-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

"Aircraft that are Classified Experimental Amateur Built - that meet Light Sport Catagory EAB (LSA): Can have Annual done by IA, or A&P"

Paul, did you forget to include "the person who holds the repairman certificate" as one who can also do the Annual? It has been awhile since I read the Regs. I hope so. I didn't expect to involve any paid labor.
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    "Aircraft that are Classified Experimental Amateur Built - that meet Light Sport Catagory EAB (LSA): Can have Annual done by IA, or A&P"

Paul, did you forget to include "the person who holds the repairman certificate" as one who can also do the Annual? It has been awhile since I read the Regs. I hope so. I didn't expect to involve any paid labor.
    Eddie
    Yes, but that is usually 1 or 2 planes. If you built the EAB (LSA) and you got the Repairman Certificate, you can inspect the plane and by the way do not need to be certified as an IA, A&P, or LSRM-A.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Mark, I was able to speak to James (A&P) at Freedom Field today. He will work on experimental aircraft, and prefers to have the owner assist. He is a really nice guy and is very knowledgeable and experienced. Send me an email to
    jhorn at ntin.net. I will give you his name and number. Stop by Freedom some time. I'm the forth hangar from the north.

John