Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitfox 7 Speedster Specs & Pricing

Default Re: Kitfox 7 Speedster Specs & Pricing

Yes there was a fuselage at the fly in with the 915 installed in it. John and I brought it over from the factory before the fly in started. It was in John and Debra's hanger back in the corner. I took several people back to see it who had walked by the fuselage and had not noticed the 915 mounted in it.

IMG_5594.jpg

IMG_5595.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks DF - is it a trial between Kitfox and Rotax, or for a client? Is there a time line for completion? Should be interesting to see comparisons with other engines. I reckon that will be an great combo with the Airmaster CSP in both all wing configurations.

Not looking to swap out just yet Dave! We still have a few hours left on the 912is!!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

We're drifting off topic, but it looks like everything fits pretty nicely. It's a little difficult to tell in the pictures: Is the intercooler mounted parallel to the firewall behind the engine?

I'm anxious to see pricing for this engine. I saw a post on Rotax-Owner claiming to have seen a price sheet from Lockwood with a pleasantly low number on it. But not being a member, I wasn't able to log into view the poster's attachment.

The Speedster intro is already causing my cash outlay estimate to creep northward. But since my field elevation is 7200', the turbo is very appealing. Someone once told me that to estimate the total cost to build, make a spreadsheet that accounts for every nut and rivet. Then double it and add radios.

Rule number 1: NEVER calculate the cost to build an airplane. If you do you are unlikely to ever start building.

A friend of mine built a Murphy Moose on Aerocet amphib floats with the big 400 horsepower supercharged radial engine and an 84 inch constant speed prop. He spent a quarter million dollars and 8 years of his life to finish it. Then after flying it he learned that if he kept his fist in the throttle it could burn more than 35 gallons an hour. So he found himself hardly ever flying it. That went on for a while, but then we all started seeing him flying it more often. We asked "What about all that fuel?" He replied "Fixed that!" Of course we all wondered exactly how he did that? He replied "I put 10 grand on a pre-paid credit card. When I pay my fuel bill at an FBO, I sign for the total without looking at it, and then tear up the receipt so I don't have to think about how much my fuel cost to fly this thing. When the card runs out I dump another 10k on it and start it all over again. And I've never enjoyed my plane more". In the scheme of building a 250 k airplane, we all agreed that made good sense...

Moral of that story: Life is short, so just go build what you want and then fly the hell out of it

Final note: Choosing a Kitfox is one of the least regretful things you will ever do regarding aviation.

It's a little difficult to tell in the pictures: Is the intercooler mounted parallel to the firewall behind the engine?
    The intercooler had not yet been mounted.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    I reckon that will be an great combo with the Airmaster CSP in both all wing configurations.

If I remember correctly, John was saying the 915 required a hydraulic constant speed propeller.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Having fun at the Fly in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    If I remember correctly, John was saying the 915 required a hydraulic constant speed propeller.
    That seems a strange requirement. I'd be curious to know more. It The Airmaster website lists the 915iS, but only says they are currently evaluating propellers for this engine.