Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax engine storage

Default Rotax engine storage

Good afternoon,

I have been searching for the instructions for preserving a Rotax 912 if it is to be stored for a while. I have some recollection Rotax has this information in one of its manuals; however, I have been unable to figure out where that is.

Can anyone provide some guidance/pointers on how to find this info?

Thanks,
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Default Re: Rotax engine storage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Good afternoon,

I have been searching for the instructions for preserving a Rotax 912 if it is to be stored for a while. I have some recollection Rotax has this information in one of its manuals; however, I have been unable to figure out where that is.

Can anyone provide some guidance/pointers on how to find this info?

Thanks,
    Check out the Operators Manual Chapter 8) Checks
    8.1) Engine Preservation
    Rotax 912ULS / Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3X Touch

How long is "a while"? A month? A year?

912 engines are very tolerant to storage. Far more so than certified aircraft engines or two-strokes.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Johnb - thanks for indicating the reference...no wonder I couldn't find it in the maintenance manual! Appreciate the help.

AV8r3400.....a little ambiguity involved; but, hopefully not more than 6 months
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

IMO - Put 5 gallons of 100LL in each wing tank. Give her a good run, fully up to temperature. Change the oil and filter and run her for a few minutes again, burp it, put the battery on a tender and she's good to go.

8.1 says:

1. Operate the engine until the temperatures have stabilized for a period of 5 min (engine oil temperature between 50 to 70 °C (122 to 160 °F).
    2. Switch the engine OFF.
    3. Allow the engine to cool down.
    4. Change oil.
    5. Remove the top spark plugs and spray all openings with corrosion inhibiting oil.
    6. Turn the propeller several times by hand in direction of the engine rotation, so that the corrosion inhibiting oil all necessary points reaches.
    7. Install the spark plug in according the Maintenance Manual.
    8. Close all openings on the cold engine, such as exhaust end pipe, venting tube, air filter etc. against entry of dirt and humidity.
    9. Spray all steel external engine parts with corrosion inhibiting oil.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Just a thought. When I was building 338S, I found a 150 hour used engine. It would be sitting for about your time frame. What I did is mount the engine to a stand. Connect battery, ignition, oil tank (new oil) and an oil pressure gauge. Every week or so, I cranked the engine without prop for several seconds beyond the full oil pressure reading. It was indoors so no external preservatives except a cloth cover to keep dust off.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Just a reference and by no means something a guy should do, but I purchased a plane with a 912 that had siting in an unheated Quonset hut for 15 years. This 'hangar, sat 50 feet from the lake shore, at a seaplane base, basically a humid environment.

The plane had not been put in any kind of storage condition, just pushed into the hangar and never touched, for at least 11+ years. The plane was pulled out, fuel system flushed, new oil, and a good cleaning of the carbs before I flew it home. The plane did use a little oil but I finally realized this was from the Extra-performance pistons that had been installed shortly after the plane was originally built (1997). Researching found that this was a typical problem with these pistons.

When I pulled the cylinders and installed the Zipper Big Bore kit, the inside of the engine looked essentially like new. There was not a single speck of any type of corrosion.

I guess I wouldn't worry much about a 6 month period. Do a basic storage like was said above, put some 100 LL in run it, change the oil, maybe spray some preservative in the cylinders, and park it. I'm up here in northern Mn and my planes usually sit for several months during the winter and that is what I do. I will pull the batteries and put them in my basement, if I know I will be gone for a long time. Those -20 to -40 days can wrack havoc on a battery if it isn't fully charged.

Wow! -20 to -40? And I thought Indiana was the land of dead batteries!