Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitfox vs RANS, The Building Experience

Default Kitfox vs RANS, The Building Experience

There are lots of threads on here about Kitfox vs RANS in terms of flying qualities, etc., but I haven't found anything comparing the building experience. The only person I've read who's built a RANS (S6) and worked on a Kitfox (V, I think) says the RANS kit was much more complete that the KF. He says the KF builder, after paying for the kit, was still left buying things like motor mounts and upholstery, both of which were included in the RANS. It only seems fair to ask TeamKitfox for an opinion.

Have you built a Kitfox and something else? How do they compare?

And what did you have to buy over and above the kit for your Kitfox?

I have this vague idea that the Kitfox would be better for my mission (floats), but I want to make sure I'm making an apples to apples comparison.

Thanks.

Default Re: Kitfox vs RANS, The Building Experience

I have only built the Kitfox SS7, but I have to say that the Kit was very complete and the build manual is superb ( I have heard it is the best, or equal to the best out there). That said, you must understand up front that that basic kit is just that-very basic. There are many optional items that you can choose to buy or not. I found that I wanted almost all of the optional items. The optional items come in their own kits which are very complete, including additional hardware needed. I much prefer this approach because you only buy what you want. Many builders prefer to make their own options, such as upholstery and baggage compartment rather than getting the factory optional kits.

I have a hunch that the negative things you heard about the Kitfox kit was from an early builder who purchased the Kit from the old Skystar company.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Im with Jim. I started building in March 2016 and I am pleasantly surprised at the completeness of the purchase. I too bought just about every option available. If I don't want the interior option then I just make my own. If I do I just add it to the options list. Simple. The instructions are easy as can be as well.
    Eddie

Looking at the price lists for the SS7 and the RANS S20, it does appear that the RANS includes more in the base price, but the base price is $5000 more. Adding up the options, the prices come pretty close together.

Difficult stuff, this.

What about build time and manuals? I've looked at them a bit and I have to say the Kitfox manuals look easy to understand and follow. They also have everything in one place, where the RANS has you reading and crosschecking a manual, plans, and parts list. My Van's experience tells me there's a lot of opportunity for error there.
    Last edited by StuBob; 11-29-2016 at 03:11 PM.

Well, Rans has some rather impressive build times. I am almost certain that the times given are for an absolutely base model. I can assure you that I will not be completing my SS7 in 1000hrs as I have many options that equate to many hours.
    Eddie

There are a lot of threads you can search for in this forum regarding build times. It seems to vary a lot, from 1200 to about 2500 hours to my recollection. My build, with all the options, was 2200 hours; but I am slow and methodical, first time builder. I'll have to say that none of it was difficult, just a lot to do. The manual leads you thru the steps with all info and parts listed on the same page, no jumping around that you describe.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Smile Re: Kitfox vs RANS, The Building Experience

I built a rans s7 and first flite was in 2009 I found the build manual to hard to follow. In 2011 ordered a Kitfox ss7 kit and was very impressed by how easy it was to understand and follow. First flew in 2012 and have 350 hr on it love it

Quote Originally Posted by StuBob View Post
    ... He says the KF builder, after paying for the kit, was still left buying things like motor mounts and upholstery, both of which were included in the RANS. It only seems fair to ask TeamKitfox for an opinion...
    I think that you have to keep in mind that there may be many more options available to you as a Kitfox builder vs a RANS builder. I could be wrong, but I believe that engine mounts, for instance, may not be part of the basic kit because you have so many factory supported engine options with the Kitfox that you don't have with RANS. The mount and various other parts will vary with engine type of course.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmil View Post
    I built a rans s7 and first flite was in 2009 I found the build manual to hard to follow. In 2011 ordered a Kitfox ss7 kit and was very impressed by how easy it was to understand and follow. First flew in 2012 and have 350 hr on it love it
    I was hoping to hear from someone like you. Thanks.

I to have been comparing the 2 brands and S7 vs S20. I think both are fine companies and fine aircraft and one could probably not go wrong with either.

I don't want to get into a debate about which is better, but there are differences, some sublte and some not so.

Price, probably minimal if not a wash in the end, the "kit" is only going to be maybe 1/3 the total anyway, so in my mind not an issue.

Build time, advantage probably goes to Kitfox IF you go with quick build wings.

Some differences:

Do you want more wing area/shorter (Rans - wider chord) or do you care?

Fabric covered wood wings or fabric covered metal wings or do you care?

Flaperons or conventional ailerons or do you care?

Adjustable pedals or adjustable seats or do you care?

Longer plane Rans (1'-4"), does it matter to you?

Rans taller by 11" (taildraggers). Is hanger/garage door height an issue? Are you happy ducking under the wing or running into it - Kitfox (if you are taller).

Cockpit width, baggage capacity, etc. Only you can answer the questions!

My choice is still not clear as Rans is now introducing the all metal S21 and I want to see early adopter build times and actual performance specs on that one.

Have fun, Greg