Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slips in a Kitfox2

Default Slips in a Kitfox2

Does anyone have any experience with slow slips to a landing in a Kitfox2 say around 35-40 MPH or so? Is the plane stable or is this pushing the envelope to far? Opinions are welcomed.

Default Re: Slips in a Kitfox2

I fly a Kitfox IV and slip all of my landings. Lots of opinions out there but the bottom line is ... uncoordinated AND slow is a recipe for disaster in any plane. Give yourself some room, speed-wise as the purpose off the slip is to decend vertical distance without accelerating and gaining "Zoom" speed as Jimmy Dulin would say.

If you are slipping to lose altitude for landing, you are already slow and uncoordinated. don't push that envelope any further. the list of heros who didn't anticipate the stall or stall spin is longer than the printed one.

get a little aerobatic time in a decathlon or a citabria and have your instructor take you up to altitude and stall in an uncoordinated condition. You will be cured of anything that looks like slow flight in a slip.
    Hope that sounds like good advice and not a lecture. Happy flying.

John,

Although I don't fly the same kitfox model you are asking about, I agree with Wheels 100%....."uncoordinated AND slow is a recipe for disaster in any plane".

I also routinely use slips and set my approach speed for no less than what I determined in testing for a short field approach speed without a slip - establish that speed then do my slip.

A person has to keep in mind that a slip is entirely a seat of the pants/stick & rudder maneuver where the ASI is useless once the slip has been initiated - basically a critical performance maneuver with little/no empirical information, .... wind gradient/shear at the particular place & time also play into the equation - a situation where being too close to the edge can bite one in the butt.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Id be interested to know why you are trying to slip that slow to begin with. I am a low time pilot and must slip after coming in over power lines to make it down on my 1000' strip. I have only been using it for a week (all prior landings at airport until I got comfortable) I come in at 60 and slip it down and have been touching a little earlier than half way so leaving about 600 feet or so to stop. I am able to do it as a low time pilot and I hope to get better with more hours. I wouldn't want to try it at 35 mph though.

Depending on how accurate your airspeed indicator is, your stall is probably between 35-40 MPH. Take the plane up to altitude and determine what it really is, then practice some slips at maybe 10 MPH faster. I use slips on nearly all my landings, but don't get super slow to do them. Altitude is your friend, if you get a bit messed up, you can recover before the ground comes up and smacks you. :-) Once you know how your particular plane reacts, you will know what's safe when you are with in the ground's reach. JImChuk

I fly a SS7 and it is a super nice slipping airplane. I routinely slip at 55 mph on landing (always a straight ahead fwd slip, NOT during the base-to-final turn); 55 is 10 mph above the stall on my airplane. I am not sure I agree with the comment about "a recipe for disaster", at least in the SS7. I have many times practiced fwd slips at a safe altitude right into the stall just to explore the envelope. We also did this during my training with Stick & Rudder. You start getting a pronounced buffet warning but nothing drastic happens. It easily recovers by dropping the nose, just like a coordinated stall. Obviously you would not want to do this real close to the ground, but it does not send you into an immediate stall/spin like other aircraft apparently do. I would be interested in other opinions on this, as I surely don't want to be suggesting an unsafe maneuver.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread for slips in a "Kitfox 2".
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I agree with Avidflyer. Practice slips at altitude, gradually creeping up to stall speeds. Early Kitfoxes are exceptionally docile, so that in itself should not be scary. I love slipping these planes just because they slip so well. But work up to knowing your plane a little bit at a time, as slips at slow speeds can develop into spins if you aren't careful. But then again, Kitfoxes spin really well, and are fun. But make sure you get some spin training if you really want to push the slow speed hard slip scenario.

I rarely land my Fox without slipping. But I will admit I typically do so 10 mph over stall. My mom really appreciates that

I have. Kitfox III and I wouldn't slip that slow. Your mileage may vary.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

I perform them occasionally on my Model III. Usually at 50-55 MPH. Probably could go slower but that is my comfort limit. Practice at altitude is always helpful.