Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Model IV Rudder pedal AD

Default Re: Model IV Rudder pedal AD

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    Just went to the Kitfox web site and printed all the SB's and SL's that I need to look at. That will keep me busy for a while. Not happy at all. What a mess.

I don't know, looks like the guys here have come up with some pretty straight forward solutions for this situation. Be happy you have an AC right now to tinker with. You will be in the air before me, guaranteed!

You guys be the judge. Here is what I have. Built in 1994. Looks like he ignored the letter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I fixed mine on my 4 before it failed and glad I did. I flew a friends airplane once that had a pedal fail after I needed to stomp on a pedal during a strong crosswind gust, and let me just say.... it can really ruin your day. Since that experience I will not fly a kitfox unless that mod is done.

I had a friend that fabricates and welds for a living weld on gussets that triangulates both the rudder pedal tube as well as the small control arm where the rudder cable attaches. I've put over 400 hours on my Kitfox since with no issues. And fwiw, because I fly floats I use much more pressure on my rudder pedals than a land based Kitfox because when my water rudder is down in the water there is a lot of water drag whenever the water rudder is turned.

I'll try to find a picture to post tomorrow.

I think we should all be thankful that KitFox keeps us safe by putting these ADs together. Not all will apply but be thankful that we have the option of learning from others experience rather than having an issue and then having a large repair job. I checked my pedals and it appears one pedal was done but not the left one. As the Service bulliten says to check before every flight and repair at the next annual. I will repair before the next annual but in the meantime I will inspect before every flight. Thanks for all the replys.

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    Just went to the Kitfox web site and printed all the SB's and SL's that I need to look at. That will keep me busy for a while. Not happy at all. What a mess.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

As I'm preparing for my first inspection since I've owned it, I have found a lot to do. But now that I've read all those service letters, I see there is much more that needs to be looked at.

As far as the pedals, I see Kitfox sells new and they also sell a repair kit. But was there drawings published as far as a do it yourself repair?

Here's the non-welded alternative I went with. Templates were made out of thick card stock. Parts cut out of 4130 sheet and bent to wrap the tube. Eventually glued and riveted.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Thanks Paul. That looks good. Looks like you made room to get at the brakes.
    Jay

I went with the factory solution from John and Debra. Not shown are round tubes that you cut and slide inside the existing long horizontal tubes that the pedals are attached to. The last photo shows these inserts, and their location. The rivet holes pass through the existing tube, and the new inserts, for added strength. Long rivets are then installed along with structural adhesive.
    Last edited by GWright6970; 10-28-2016 at 03:18 PM.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Don't put it off. I found out last week that failure to comply claimed another beautiful KF 4-1200 at my home airport.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

gw, curious about the picture you posted that show both sets of master cylinders. just wondering about the ones that use the remote reservoir that have the springs on the piston shafts, if they came that way? reason I'm ask is that I'm in the process of replacing my matco master cylinders with grove and i haven't seen the springs before and if i need them.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa