Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: HS Trim

Default HS Trim

Kitfox SS7 just completed. Rotax 912 ULS

When I put in full flaps, I do not get enough electric trim to stabilize the plane at 60 mph. It is necessary to hold some backward pressure on the stick to get 60. I don't remember this being the case with either of the Kitfox's that I was trained in (stick & rudder aviation). Do I just need to go in and make an adjustment. Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks

Tom Livermore

Default Re: HS Trim

I have the same problem. At half flaps I trim full nose up and get about 65 mph and when I put full flaps down I have to pull pretty hard on the stick.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Have you tried it with luggage in the back? I find 1 stage with no luggage and 2 when loaded up works.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Search for trim assist on this forum for all the answers to this well known problem. Bruce N199CL

Thanks airlina.

Tom

Yes, all us kit builders have this "problem". The SLSA trainers have different flap detents (less down angle) which allows them to trim for 60 with full flaps. The kit flap detents are more aggressive. You can offset some, not all, of this by adjusting the HS jack screw to give more nose-up and less nose down range. I did this and it helps. Just screw in the rod end on the top of the jack screw until at full nose-up trim the leading edge HS tube almost touches the bottom of the slot in the cover plates. This gives more nose-up trim but still leaves plenty of nose-down trim.
    If its not too late in your build, some guys cut a couple more detent notches in between the standard notches to give less aggressive flap choices.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

my fix is to just not use the flaps. works for me.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop