Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Covering

Default Re: Covering

On the Harbor "Fright" HVLP gun, I also used one on our kitfox. The definition of HVLP includes more than one design - the cheap HF ones reduce overspray by having the paint cup on top of the gun so it gravity feeds rather than to rely on suction feed from below like a "standard" gun which drastically increases the air flow and subsequent overspray. I have a real nice Binks suction feed I use for lacquer work but didn't use that on the Kitfox because slow dry paint and overspray just don't mix.

Years gone by I had some bad luck with cheap spray guns (which is why I got the Binks back then) The problem at the time was poor spray patterns due to the fluid needle not being centered so you ended up with a lop sided spray pattern no matter what adjustments were made. I am still flabbergasted by the cheap HF HVPL gun as it has always done good spray patterns and I can't figure out how they made it work so well and be cheap

I am sure the high tec turbine HVLP guns are really nice - but it's a lot of money too.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Default Re: Covering

One more vote for the Harbor Freight HVLP gun. Can't remember which tip size mine had, but I used it with the very tricky Stewart System 2 part paint and was thoroughly happy with it's performance. In the middle of the paint job when I got tired of cleaning it and it started to gum up a little I just bought a new one. I think it was like $17 at the time. And I used an old 5 gallon craftsman air compressor. Not ideal, but not a single person has ever had anything bad to say about my paint job. It's all mostly in the prep!