Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Brake Master Cylinder Shaft too long- Cleveland

Default Brake Master Cylinder Shaft too long- Cleveland

Series 5 build (original kit supplied brakes) -
    Cleveland Master Cylinder shaft is too long. The fork is screwed down as far as it will go and the bottom edge of the rudder pedal contacts the tube arm at full rudder travel. Before I whip out the cutting wheel and shorten the shaft, just checking to see if anyone else has had to do this. Thanks. Andy

Default Re: Brake Master Cylinder Shaft too long- Cleveland

Andy,

Had a similar situation on our S7 although it was with Matco Master Cylinders (not Clevelands) supplied with our kit by skystar. Since your kit is an S5 - I would assume skystar also supplied your masters. The Matco cylinders (MC and MC4) came in two lenghts varying by 1/2" and I believe other manufacturers also have varying lengths. Kinda suprised that Cleveland masters were supplied as I believe they are about 3 times the cost of Matcos.

There was no chance of an exchange with skystar as they had already done the bankrupcy thing; however, the Matco folks were extremely helpful and cheerfully exchanged for the correct length cylinder for the cost of shipping - Matco's customer service is first class.

If you did not get the cylinders from the current Kitfox company, your best bet is to contact the master cylinder manufacturer, have the data ready for the ones you have now and see if they can help out. If nothing else, I think that the piston rods can be replaced with rods of the correct length.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Default Re: Brake Master Cylinder Shaft too long- Cleveland

I also have a series 5 with Cleveland master cylinders and everything worked out fine. I don't have the part number of the master cylinders to compare with what you have. I included a picture of my installation in case it could help. On mine there is still some threads showing at the forks on the top of the shafts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016