Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pole barn storage for kit fox

Default pole barn storage for kit fox

I keep my IV in a pole barn by my grass strip. Its too big to heat and I fly on skis in the winter. I"m thinking of building a "paint booth" type enclosure for the winter months that I could heat with a light bulb. Anyone got any advise, ideas, opinions?

Default Re: pole barn storage for kit fox

so tell me, what are you trying to do. Are you interested in having a heated area to work on it, or to pre heat for flying.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

My poor bird lives in a barn as well. I don't plan on flying in the winter as the barn is so full during the cold months I couldn't get it out to fly. I would think a moving quilt over the engine with a good old filament bulb next to the engine would keep it warm. Beware of fire though. My biggest worry would be mice nesting near the heat. I hate meeces to pieces!!!
    Jay

I've heard of too many fires from heating with a light bulb.

Yep, me too. But heaters are worse.

now to come back. I have the reiff system on my fox. in fact I keep it plugged in 24/7. I have never had a problem with moisture in the tank. I've done this for about 4 years now. I have one heat element on the bottom of the engine and a wrap around the tank with a sensor to shut it off when it gets I think 90 degrees. I unplug and start and it's ready to go once I get to the runway, varoom! it's fun time.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I would like to be able to work on the plane as well as keep it warm enough to fly.
    The pole barn is big and drafty and on certain days I have seen a ton of moisture on my plane even though it was under cover. The earthen floor on the sides of the concrete pad don't help any. So I'm thinking plastic sheeting on a wood frame and a drape on the front to tie up and pull the plane out. Kind of a hanger in a hangar. I can pre heat the engine with any number of rotax approved systems but the engine is only part of the issue. I saw what appeared to be sweat beads all over the plane on several occasions during rapid thaws, so I feel that climate control in a small environment might really help keep the moisture out.
    I have a tremendously large bi fold door with a motor that could lift a house. I guess I could get fancy and rig the drape to be suspended and rise with the door. But I may not be that smart.

For moisture, a fan blowing air through should work. I don't think a light bulb will through enough heat to warm anything.

If you are getting that much moisture in your barn you should get some ventilation fans installed and that should solve most of your problems with the moisture.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Never thought about ventilation fans. That's a great Idea and I have some.
    I"ll keep you posted. Thanks.

I've built something similar to build a car over the winter. I just made a basic frame out of 2x4s and then screwed 4x8 sheets of 3" polyiso insulation to them. I used a small electric heater and it would get so hot in there that it would drive you right out. It didn't cost much to build and worked great. Any commercial roofing supplier will have that stuff. Heck if you were local I would give you a bunch.