Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying LS ruling

Default Flying LS ruling

This subject has been talked about often but I need some clarification.
    After flying 40 years with a 3rd class medical I am looking into flying LS.
    My believe model 4 Kitfox complies with the rules.
    What I am not sure about is the altitude and airspace that LS aircraft and pilots are allowed.
    I may be getting student LS confused with "licensed" LS.
    I read that 10,000 MSL and 2000 AGL? (a different abbreviation was used and do not remember what it was ) as maximum altitude.
    I often cruise my Kitfox at 11,500-12,500 to clear the Cascades.
    Also, documented instruction is needed to fly into class B,C and D airspace.
    Is this needed since I have been flying C and D airspaces with non LS aircraft and my Kitfox with a transponder.
    Thanks
    Herman
    Last edited by herman pahls; 08-31-2016 at 11:58 AM.

Default Re: Flying LS ruling

Herman,
    AOPA has a good comparison of the privileges that come with the type of pilot certificate you hold and can be found here - https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advoca...t-certificates - and that's important information to know and understand.

But I think you're commingling things that don't need to be. You hold a private pilot license and therefore when you fly an LS aircraft you can exercise your PPL privileges. You're just flying in an aircraft that allows you to exercise those privileges without a 3rd Class medical.

I may be off-base on this, but I believe it is an accurate representation of what you can do/where you can fly in your Kitfox.
    RobS

Here is a link to a magazine article that answers the question. Is the writer correct? I think so. (for what that's worth ;-) ) JImChuk
    http://www.flyingmag.com/training/ls...-homebuilt-lsa

Herman, with the new changes being implemented (within 1 year as I understand) you will be in fat city. Since you have had a valid 3rd class medical within the last 10 years, you will no longer need the medical, just a self certification and a note from your family doctor. With this you can then continue to use your private pilot privileges in your Kitfox or other up to a certain weight limit. I'm open to corrections, but this is my understanding.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks guys for responding and the links to flying magazine and AOPA.
    No mention in either summary regarding altitude limitations and if coming from a private pilots license suffices as additional required training for class B, C and D airspace.

Jim
    My last medical was 7 months ago and the medical examiner stated that this could be my last one for the type of airplanes I fly.
    I hope he is correct because I still fly airplanes that do not currently qualify as light sport.
    Any one have a clue how the proposal is is proceeding to fly heavier/faster airplanes without a medical?
    I have heard that it may be hard to get a physician to sign you off as being fit to fly for liability reasons.

Herman

I would call aopa or eaa. there was a provision for flying over mountains if it were over the max agl, like in Denver. can't remember, I think they give some grace in these cases. have to check it out.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

If you have a private pilot certificate and let it lapse, you can fly an airplane that qualifies under the definition of LSA. A kitfox model four meets the definition of LSA aircraft.

You will be flying under "Sport Pilot Rules". You will be required to follow the sport pilot altitude limitation. You will not need additional training to fly into B, C, and D airspace.

No one knows what the new rules will say for sure or what the real progress is.

Here's the sport pilot rule altitude limitation.
    Maximum altitudes
    Sport Pilots can now fly above 10,000 feet MSL or 2,000 feet AGL which ever is higher. This was a welcome update. The 2000 feet above ground level was added allowing Sport Pilots to fly over 10,000 feet MSL to safely get over high mountains. Note: If any pilot flies over 12,500 feet for more than 30 minutes, supplemental oxygen is required per § 91.211. The over 10,000 new rule is in Title 14 CFR § 61.315 Privileges and limits of the sport pilot certificate.
    http://lsapilot.sportaviationcenter....aa-rules-2010/
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

TJ
    Good to hear there is some common sense involved.
    So if I fly over 10,500 foot mountains I can go to 12,500 for 30 minutes under sport pilot rules.
    If I fly over water, say the 30 miles to Catalina island from Los Angeles I am limited to 2000 MSL?
    Not much glide altitude.
    I have never heard the controller's asking what type of certificate I am flying with when asking for flight following.

Herman, the rule says; above 10,000 MSL or 2,000 AGL which ever is HIGHER. So the minimum maximum is 10,000 MSL JImChuk

Someone mentioned having a 3rd class med. in the last 10 years. I have not read that anywhere in my research. Can someone send me a link where that is stated? Now I'm worried. I have my Private, but dad moved away and took the plane with him. Selfish, right? So I'm long out of medical but don't want to risk a failed med check due to meds I now take.

I wrote my Congressman that there are more document deaths due to church bus drivers than there are to older pilots enjoying their dream of flight. They need to make the LS ticket easier to understand.