Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox struts that hold the doors open

Default Kitfox struts that hold the doors open

One of the struts that holds the doors open on my model 4 has lost pressure and needs to be replaced.
    Is this a Kitfox specific item or can it be purchased at auto parts stores?
    I called a Napa store and they had struts that are within 1/2" of my strut but listed several different pressure options.
    Thanks
    Herman

Default Re: Kitfox struts that hold the doors open

I was able to purchase a replacement at our local Fleet Farm. I don't remember how close it was to the original. I have my Kitfox up North right now else I would take a picture of the new one.

The struts are available by length and there are various pressures. They are cheap. The safety consideration for you is that the attach point on the door and on the airframe is very solid. I have flown with the doors open on my IV for years but only at speeds under 65 mph. That way the door strut isn't being worked over by the turbulent air under the door while its open. A strut separation in flight could be a little unnerving but the door hinge bolts should keep the door from leaving your plane. Just be sure the door strut clips are in place.

They are readily available in automotive and RV supply stores, or you can type in "Suspa lift supports" in the search menu on eBay or Amazon.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Thanks for the responses.
    I have been flying Kitfox's for 20 years with the doors open and it is a good reminder to not fly too fast and test the integrity of the hardware.
    Thanks for mentioning Amazon.
    Herman

Does anyone have a model number for lift strut for a model 5,6,7 with bubble door? Thanks.
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

I don't think mine has lift struts at all. I'm still rebuilding mine, but seems to me I have them safety wired up out of the way.
    Jay

I assume you have looked on Page 54 of the Kitfox parts catalog. These aren't big ticket items. I spent the same kind of money at Autozone for my Car. All that you need is a call to John or Debra.