Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: raven ?

Default raven ?

I have not been able to find too much about the raven model of aircraft. I know it is a kitfox clone. I have the opportunity to look at a raven that looks nice in the pics. It is current in annual and flying with a 582 (right side up like a kitfox). The owner sounds knowledgeable and familiar with the kitfoxes. He didn't sound like he was trying to blow smoke up my rear in regards to performance. He stated at 6k it would cruise at 80ish (stol wings). It has a taller vert stabilizer and rudder the size of the kitfox 4 to help with yaw. My question is more in reqards to the gross of 1050 he is claiming. I know it has some mods to the airframe but it seems high for the kitfox 1-2 that I thought the raven was based on. It puts the usable load right about 500 which is what I was looking for, just concerned about not knowing much about them. Also are they strong enough to occasionally (push the gross a little)? Thanks I know I have been asking a lot of questions lately and bothering you guys but I appreciate the help.
    Mark

Default Re: raven ?

Im certain nobody here feels that your imposing. bunch of great people here. Pilots!
    Good luck

We'll discuss Avids, too!

Why are you concerned? you don't really think someone would lie about gross weight, I'm sure if he says its 1050 then it has been tested at or above 1050,

Why are you concerned? you don't really think someone would lie about gross weight, I'm sure if he says its 1050 then it has been tested at or above 1050,
    I'd question it: As the builder of an ultralight or EAB for that matter - the builder is the "manufacturer" and can set the gross at anything they want, irregardless of what the designer spec'd! In the case of EAB, all they have to do is get the DAR to sign off on it.

It is my recollection, the original Raven was designed for a 440lb empty, 850lb gross with a Rotax 503, 30 ft wingspan. I'd want to see if he has any specs, plans, literature from the designer that support the 1050 claim - that's almost a 25% jump.

Danzer