Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Changing Tailspring screws KF4

Default Changing Tailspring screws KF4

Hi,

how can I change the forward bilt that holds the tailspring?

The aft ones are easy because they are outside the fuselage, but the forward one is inside the fuselage.

It's a Model 4 Speedster

Default Re: Changing Tailspring screws KF4

I got my wife to reach down into there to put the bolt into place on my Avid Flyer, her arms are way smaller than mine. Used a 3/8" ratchet with 2 long extentions to reach the bolt and hold it from turning. When I covered my Kitfox 4, I made a trap door on the side of the fuselage next to the bolt. I fiberglassed in a small aluminum tube at the top to wrap the fabric around. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Model 4 manual says to bond the bolt in the fuselage tube with structual adhesive. Some builders do, some don't.

If you can't get to it from the horizontal stabilizer opening you can install an inspection ring on the side of the fuselage centered seven inches forward of the bolt.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

hi spooky , i installed an inspection ring and cover , just forward of the spring bolt . there is a picture in my album tail mods
    Attached Images Attached Images
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I also installed a round inspection ring in that location; it gives access to the tailspring bolt as well as the lower pivot bolt for the electric trim actuator (SS7). I haven't cut the fabric out of the center of the ring yet, but can do so anytime I need to.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I like the idea of putting in the ring for an inspection cover, but I didn't do that on my plane. Once the hole is cut open you may be allowing more moisture to get inside the tail, which could lead to corrosion.

I recently upgraded my tailwheel spring and didn't find it that hard to access it from the horizontal stab area. I used mechanical fingers, a magnet and several extensions with a wobble end so that the ratchet was outside.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

You should have drain holes in the tail. You WILL get water in the fuselage.

I'm going to piggyback on this topic and ask how to remove the forward bolt if it is bonded in per TJ's response.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Mine was bonded and I wanted to change to the Grove aluminum tail spring. I got a socket on the bolt on the inside and one on the outside and with a little effort it broke the bond. However I must confess that when I bonded it I thought ahead to someday needing to replace it and lightly greased the bolt shank so the epoxy wouldn't stick too tightly. It worked perfectly; sometimes I get things right.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS