Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressor for paint gun?

Default Compressor for paint gun?

Hi guys I need a new compressor to do the paint job on my future kitfox so can you give me a hand on choosing the right one I don't want to buy too big for nothing, how many CFM do I need to make a good paint job.....
    I have seen this one.....
    Porter Cable PXCMLC1683066 30 Gallon Single Stage Portable Air Compressor 135 psi 105 psi 30 gal 5.3 scfm 1.6 HP
    Is that enough?
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

Default Re: Compressor for paint gun?

Hi Eric,

Good question; but to be able to make a correct choice, a person needs to know what the consumption is of the paint gun a person is using.

Paint guns can be operated at different CFMs, depending on the pressure used (higher pressure - more CFMs); and, one model of paint gun can use different caps and needles which will also affect the air input requirement.

The cut to the chase is check what the air volume/pressure requirement is for the paint gun equipped as you will be using then find a compressor which will cover it.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Is there any restrictions about the gun to use for the kind of paint that is use on that plane? Thickness?
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

That one that you have listed is more than enough for a hvlp gun, if you ever plan to run a DA sander you need to look for at least 11 cfm at 80psi

Ok that a lot of air!!!!!! Î Will look to beef up my compressor acquisition
    Tks for the info...... A good paint gun model?
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

I'm no painter, but PolyFiber highly recommends an HVLP outfit for their paints. Apparently lays it on nicely with very little overspray, which is nice not to waste that very expensive paint.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Devilbiss Is my gun of choice for all systems,

If you have a huge storage tank it doesn't take a big compressor. 2 30 gallon tanks should give you plenty of volume. Look for a old compressor with the pump dead but still a good tank. Hook the tanks together. Really it's more about your painting technique if you expect to paint an entire wing without stopping, then you better have a big compressor and tank. In reality you have to stop painting all the time to move things and hoses and what about refilling the gun. These things give the compressor a chance to catch up. What's the big hurry? If you spread out the time a little, the paint gets a chance start setting up a little so It doesn't run ( oops I gave away a secret ). Remember you will spend hours masking and getting ready to paint, then be finished in 15 minutes! I often stop for five minutes just to let the paint set up some, on vertical surfaces. For vertical surfaces use several mist coats with time between coats. It's when you get in a hurry and try to build it up all at once that you get runs. When finished painting clean your gun right now! Have plenty of solvent on hand

Well I think I fond a good compressor for the job..... 18.5 CFM....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

Eric,

Nice machine. In addition to any choice of paint gun, you will be able to use many more air tools with that performance including a backyard sandblaster/sandblast cabinet if you need to.

I see it has a nice 3 position manifold so more than one item can be connected.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN