Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flaperon rivets missing

Default Re: Flaperon rivets missing

I've had this happen on my Kitfox SLSA it was on the right flaperon. It did start separating. I sanded re-epoxied and had to go with a rounded head rivit wher the rivit pulled out. I added two additional digits on doth sides of the rivit that pulled out. On preflight a, I now inspect between each of the rivets to check for delamination. When I was flying out to the 2015 Kitfox Factory Flyin I noticed it while unpacking in Abilene, Texas. I got socked in in Abilene with fog, I did a temp fix and when the weather cleared I flew home.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    I believe Kitfox uses the 9460 - should be in their parts catalog page 28
    I hope this doesn't result in a debate, and I have no personal experience with the 9460, but do have experience with the "Structural adhesive" shipped for wing assembly in the early Kitfoxes. My opinion is that the 9460 is application specific - meaning with a thick consistency appropriate for building a fillet on the ribs as the wing is being assembled.

I have used the 9430 for many years - available at Aircraft Spruce. It has a honey like consistency and is excellent for bonding thin materials face to face. That would be my choice. It has no fillers that, also in my opinion, would tend to result in cracks in the adhesive. If it were my airplane, I would use the 9430 but with a thorough preparation of the mating surfaces - lots of careful going over with something like 300 grit sandpaper. rinsing with Acetone, then more sanding.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

If the rivets keep popping out the results could be catastrophic. I ubmitted a safety write up to John.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

If the holes are sloppy , you can drill them up to a 1/8
    And dimple the hole . Then put a Ad 426 -4 solid rivet back in.
    .016 is to thin to counter sink it knife edges .
    1/8 dimple dies at AC spruce $24.
    Mike

While you are "out and about" a roll of gorilla tape can come in pretty handy...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I definitely second the duct tape idea!!
    It kept my last plane (Glastar td) in tact a few times in a pinch.
    After doing much research and listening to the comments here, I'm thinking about using this stuff for the epoxy aspect of this repair.
    Has anyone used this and if so, what's your thoughts?
    From what I've read, the only two things that will withstand a nuclear blast is cockroaches and the two pieces of aluminum I bond together with this stuff.
    Brad..
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would personally stick with the Hysol 9460. Don't think you can beat it, other than what Highwing says maybe the same stuff but different consistency.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

A bit late to the party but IMHO... G-Flex would be appropriate for this purpose, and maybe more so than either Hysol due to it's modulus of elasticity properties. I used it for bonding dissimilar materials (Plexi to aluminum) and my testing showed very tenacious results. While there is no need for the ability to withstand expansion/contraction of dissimilar substrates in this instance, there is flexing of the flaperon skins in flight and perhaps some elasticity under both tensile and shear stress in this application would be a good thing.

From West Systems:

650-8 G/flex Toughened Epoxy

A toughened, versatile, liquid epoxy for permanent waterproof bonding of fiberglass, ceramics, metals, plastics, damp and difficult-to-bond woods. With a modulus of elasticity of 150,000 PSI, it is a bit more flexible than standard epoxies and polyester, but much stiffer than adhesive sealants. This gives G/flex 650 the ability to make structural bonds that can absorb the stress of expansion, contraction, shock, and vibration. It is ideal for bonding dissimilar materials. It can be modified with West System fillers and additives, and used to wet-out fiberglass tapes and fabrics. Mixed at a 1:1 ratio, G/flex 650 gives you 45 minutes of working time at 72°F. It reaches an initial cure in 7 to 10 hrs and full cure in 24 hrs. (8 fl. oz. / 236 mL)
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Thanks for the responses. I agree and think the gflex will be what I use as I can peel the existing epoxy off with just my fingernail.

I agree that the G-Flex sounds like it might be a good choice for this issue. The fact that you can peel the old stuff off with your fingernail points to probable improper preparation of the mating surfaces before bonding.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime