Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovered Kitfox 4 wings

Default Recovered Kitfox 4 wings

Hi all, a couple of years ago, I hauled a Kitfox 4 home from Texas to northern Mn. (Thanks Pete Ohms) It's been sitting in pieces since then. Finally got to do some productive work on it over the last month or so. Recovered the wings. I liked the paint scheme so well on the Kitfox 1 I recently fixed up that I decided to go with the same colors. One of the reasons I did the wings now was a young guy (16) I know was asking if he could help me the next time I was going to cover an airplane, cause he wanted to see how it was done. I put my Avid Flyer project on hold, and did the wings so he could see how it was done. I moved these wings out of my spray booth yesterday, and moved the Avid wings in. They need the rest of the spray coats applied to them. Kitfox wings are now hung from the ceiling in the hangar, and will wait there till I finish the rest of the plane. Probably nest summer. I tried to keep track of the time, and figured I had 47 hours into the recover of the wings before I started spraying. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Recovered Kitfox 4 wings

Looking good!
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

looks great Jim... you're chemicals should arrive today

I like the whole thing. The color scheme, the reasons for the color scheme and especially showing the 16 year old the process. We need to grab the young ones when those opportunities come.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Good going Jim. I like the colors.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Thanks guys, and thanks Pete for your help getting it loaded back then. I still have to put pin stripeing on, 1/8" wide red color over the yellow stripe. That's the way the Kitfox 1 was. Flew it again a bit last evening. Fun plane. It sure does climb. JimChuk

Hey avidflyer, how were your pinstripes done. It really accents things nicely. Not enough people do it in my opinion probably because it's laborious?
    Eddie

I only did the pin stripes on the one wing, to match the rest of the plane. It was pretty easy, bought matching stripes on ebay. The stripes are about 1/8" in from the edge of the yellow, and being that close it's easy to see if you are maintaining the right distance. Pull about 2 or 3 feet out, and lower it down while guideing it with the other hand. I had the wing in my wing holders when I did it, and they allow me to rotate the wing. Jim Chuk
    PS painted another set of wings today, these are for my Avid Flyer. Tim, your Poly Brush is no longer in the cans.... Thanks! Still have to do Pontiac Red scallops on the front of the wings for trim..

I got back to work on the Avid Flyer wings today for a while. Here is the result. JImChuk

Looks great! what kind of paint?
    Eddie