Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ready for DAR

Default Re: Ready for DAR

Thank you James. Just what I needed.

Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Glad to help Jon. James Thomas

better check with a DAR first photos are a requirement

I have a DAR friend in your area call me if you want

David Kelm
    Kitfox SS 912iS
    A&P,IA,DART,DARF
    501-804-9285

David
    Can you point me to the FAA document that says photos are required? I did some digging after I read your post and didn't see anything requiring photos.

Thanks
    Jeff
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

will do tonight

you can look at FAA Order 8130.2H

note: when you google you will also see 8130.21H that is for FAA Form 8130-3 tags

I only did a quick scan but Para. 459 e says pictures MAY be used as documentation but I don't see REQUIRED used anywhere. Hopefully David will provide the correct paragraphs.

Rick

My DAR didn't ask for any photos or build log. I was surprised. He did look at a couple of EAA Technical Counselor reports that I showed him. He walked around the plane for no more than 10 minutes; the rest was all paperwork. I know they are all different, but that was my experience. Kind of a let-down actually.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Para 459(e) is correct

first there is FAA DC Policy then Regional Policy now down to Office Policy.

In my area , due to all the builders for hire our office policy is to look close at photos and the build log. The Kitfox build manual is what i am using along with photos.

Best to get a DAR and see what they need

I do Kitfox aircraft in my area for free but I am in Little Rock Ar

call me if needed

David Kelm

My experience was about the same as Jim. Getting the repairman certificate however was another matter. The FAA guy wanted way more selfies than I was able to produce. He finally relented when I explained to him that I was the one who took the photos & therfore could. Not possibly be in the pics. Anyway good luck.

Dutch

I think Dutch has brought up the most relevant point. The purpose of build log is to verify that all construction work was done by amateur labor. I've been through 3 original A/W inspections and build log was never mentioned unless I volunteered to show it. All of these inspections were done by a DAR. I'm ready to ask for a repairman certificate on my 4-1200 and that has to be done at the FSDO, at least that's the policy in the Albany, NY FSDO. I'm in the same situation as Dutch with lots of photos, text and receipts but none with my face in the picture. As I understand it the repairman interview is generally done by an FAA administrator at his/her desk. A possible substitute for the selfie type photos may be a sworn affidavit that's been notorized stating that you have performed the build labor with possible exception of allowed tasks such as paint work etc. good luck, we have a great guy (DAR) that's authorized to inspect in your area as well as most of the New England states. His contract is through the Boston MIDO. He's quite reasonable on price and travel expense.