Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oratex Fabric Covering

Default Oratex Fabric Covering

Has anyone used Oratex covering. I would like to know your thoughts on how user friendly it is and how it stands up to the environment pilots put there planes through. Thanks

Pieter
    Pieter
    Kitox IV 1050
    582 70" IVO IFA

Default Re: Oratex Fabric Covering

Oratex has been discussed at length. Do a search for the many replies on the product.
    John

Pieter,
    I can't speak to how well it holds up except to say it is doing just fine the last several months in my garage
    As to user friendliness, I will first preface my comments by noting that my covering experience consists of a SportAir Polyfiber workshop, hours spent viewing Stewart Systems DVDs and then actually covering my Kitfox with Oratex. My thoughts are that as far as the actual covering process, using the PolyFiber process would have been a problem as it only takes a little MEK to give me a killer headache and I am also working in an attached garage (no way I would have kept the fumes out of my house). Also I note that you need to typically work fast when gluing and I tend toward a slower pace (aka Turtle Build).
    I think the Stewart System would have worked well for me and been somewhat easier as far as just getting the fabric on.
    BUT, the big reason for me in going with the Oratex is that I do not have to paint it and thus do not need to build a paint booth in my garage and struggle to get adequate lighting on the work. The finish is certainly not a slick, glossy look, but I think it looks just fine on a fun/utilitarian aircraft like the Kitfox. I plan to use Stewart Systems paint on my cowl, tips, etc. with a flattener, and they are working on a color match now. I figure I can paint these smaller parts outdoors under a screened canopy.
    Bottom line: While pricey, the Oratex was pretty easy to use, allowed me to work at my pace without stinking up my house AND avoid a lot of painting hassle.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

I recently covered the elevator on my 25 year old Kitfox III. I will tell you, that it was easy for me because I've covered dozens of model airplane's with similar covering. If you read the instructions until you understand and don't try to substitute past experience with other covering systems, you shouldn't have too many problems. I may eventually cover my whole plane with Oratex.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Also lots of new threads and info out there with more people trying it....

Current thread on Oratex on EAA forums FYI....

JB
    KIFP

1969 Superhawk 4 sale on TAP

For those of you who have covered or are using Oratex, did you spring for the quite expensive digital heat gun and iron or were you able to find less expensive alternatives? Been looking around. Kobalt (Lowes) has a digital gun for about $70. Just curious what you have done. Thanks in advance.

Rick

Rick,

I used the recommended ones. The Steinel heat gun is really nice - very accurate with 10 deg. setting steps. It's a great gun & I'm glad I bought it. It's wonderful for heat shrink tubing and anything else you need a heat gun for. I have other heat guns, but this one is the best & my favorite. I have the Toko iron too. It also worked perfectly... the only thing I wish it had is a Teflon-coated soleplate. You want to get & use the silicone paper from Oratex between the iron & the fabric anyway, but if you rub that aluminum plate against the fabric it makes a mark (which is easily removed). I searched around & bought both items on the internet for pretty good prices.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John!! I did see them online at prices that aren't that bad.

Rick

Rick,
    I got the Steinel gun in a case with various nozzles on sale (think it was a limited time deal) from Howard Electronic Instruments and I think John E. was the one who had put me onto them. My only caution was that I learned to hard way to make a small shield to tape in place over the temperature switches.
    I used a digital wax iron made by Wintersteiger that I bought from Reliable Racing. I think it was one of the folks at Stewarts Systems that put me onto that one. I liked and used it a LOT.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Thanks Gary. I actually found Howard this afternoon. Ordered the 2010E for $181. Got an email back saying they no longer carried just the gun but had a kit with the gun for $149 and was I interested? It's on the way. Also found the Toko iron for $103.