Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer specifications?

Default Trailer specifications?

Hey guys,

I'm planning on buying a Kitfox V. Trying to find an open trailer somewhere "near" Pullman, WA. Can't find any that are advertised as kitfox compatible. What do I need to check for to ensure that a trailer will be compatible? Wheel spacing, length, etc... ? Thanks!

Carl

Default Re: Trailer specifications?

if you could find one like this it would be good
    Attached Images Attached Images

actually any car trailer should do the job,.I've always put the plane on backwards.but I imagine it doesn't matter too much as long as there is nothing hanging over the end of the trailer in harms way..you might have to block up the tail on the plane depending on what your towing it with ..box on front of trailer ..etc... when you tie the plane down ..tie the landing gear down or use the float mounts,..don't throw a strap over the tail or any flight surface,..and I ussually put a strap on the prop so it wasn't spinning backwards going down the road.and if you don't have the tail brace to keep the rudder from moving ..you can take 2 - 1 inch by 3 inch boards and wrap them in carpet put a 1 inch spacer inbetween the boards on each end and a bolt thru each end ,..make them long enough to slide over the tail and come down just above the fuselage where the flaperons meet the tail.

Chase
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 08-04-2009 at 05:18 PM.

ha ha ,..it doesn't exist yet,..I was just doodling,..but it will exist soon,..after calculating the materials weight ..the trailer will weigh near 3,000 lbs. completed ,..with one purpose ,..to haul the kitfox,..
    Thanks

Chase

my bust ,..you meant the smaller trailer ,..not the gooseneck?

the smaller trailer will weigh around 800 lbs completed,..I built one like that one posted above
    thought you were talking aout the one below
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 09-01-2009 at 09:55 AM.

Not so, most car haulers don't have a wide enough door....

well ,..how wide are the doors on open trailers?

quote[I'm planning on buying a Kitfox V. Trying to find an open trailer somewhere "near" Pullman, WA. ] quote

When I brought my model IV home from cross country, I had to remove one wing and the horizontal tail, then the plane went into a 26' U-Haul truck with plenty of room to spare.

(If you are just looking to move it once, not every day, that is.)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

well I hauled mine like that for 3 years ,..didn't lose any wings,..it's actually the best way to haul it because of ZERO forces on the wings,..if the tail is down ..your putting negative loads on the wing,.. last I checked the negative load factor was less then the positive,..we all know as kids riding in Dad's truck,..when we stuck our hand out the window like a wing and twisted it "thumb" or nose down ,..it didn't take much twist to make your hand take a thumb dive
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 09-02-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Boy I hope not. Mine is almost identical. I used it to bring my M4 home to Texas from Ohio. About 900 miles. Of course, it wasn't covered, but I wrapped the wings with tarps, so it was a pretty good test all the same. The guy I bought it from had been using it for years with his M3. The only bad thing about this trailer is the lack of suspension. It's built from a car hauler. But that makes it easy to load, since it's so low to the ground. I deflated the tires halfway and it made the trip fine, although the tarps were pretty ragged by the end.

According to the guy I bought it from, the great thing about the high tail is that you don't have to drain the fuel to trailer it.

Sure wish my plane was done so I could try it out for real.

that is an added advantage Jon ,..with the tail high ,..your wing is nuetral,..and you don't have to drain the tanks,..I'll bet over the 3 years that I hauled mine I put 1500 miles on it,..but I had suspension and it still got shook up ,..up in the north east frost heaves