Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lift Strut Fairing

Default Lift Strut Fairing

All,

On our 2008 S7, the factory plastic lift strut fairings were installed on the lift struts. One of the four which was installed did not end up quite as straight as I would have wanted (as observed AFTER the hysol set up). It's not much, nobody else notices; but, you can guess the person who built it does. Given that these are bonded with hysol, what kind of challenges do you think I would encounter in removing one of the lift strut fairings to replace it with a new one? Also, the strut is not powdercoated; but, epoxy primed and finished with Aerothane.

Thanks,

Dave S
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Default Re: Lift Strut Fairing

I don't think you will be able to without scratching the spar and introducing stress risers. To remove hysol it needs to be heated up to about 450 and then pried off in chunks with a screwdriver or similar. If she flies fine, leave it

Dave
    I did something similar ,but it was one of my plastic leading edges .
    I removed it and the old hysol it wasn't that difficult , I used a Good
    Firm plastic scrapper to separate the two ,without damaging the leading edge,then I sanded off the old hysol
    It was time consuming removing the hysol but it was well worth it in
    the end .Mike

Dave,
    No experience with the Hysol used now in the construction, but lots of experience looking at the flaws no one else notices - even when they are pointed out to them. Just finished a new coat of paint on the Nose Cowl. Glad I did. as now when I walk up to the airplane there is no longer that magnetic force grabbing my attention.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I think if you 'unzip' the trailing edge of the strut fairing, it should peel right off of the hysol because the bond is very weak on the PVC.. Getting the hysol off of the strut itself would be the challenge. At any rate, it would be a lot of work to remove and replace. One would have to re-join the strut fairing intersection as well.

Sooo - I am getting ready to install these fairings on my SS7 that has just been completed. Seeing this issue coming, I plan to only spot bond the fairings - probably four places - so that if I have to remove them I won't have such a big issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Tom Livermore
    N316DA - SS7 Supersport Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by Tomfox View Post
    Sooo - I am getting ready to install these fairings on my SS7 that has just been completed. Seeing this issue coming, I plan to only spot bond the fairings - probably four places - so that if I have to remove them I won't have such a big issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Tom Livermore
    N316DA - SS7 Supersport Rotax 912ULS
    I don't know if Tom ever got an answer to his question, but I would like to ask it again for myself. Using the factory plastic fairings, are most builders now only bonding in a few spots along the strut, and are they applying Hysol to both top & bottom contact surfaces? Do you bond the trailing edges also, or just rely on the "zipper"?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I 'stitched' Hysol into the PVC strut 'pocket'. No adhesive on the trailing edge 'zipper'..The Hysol bonds very well to the strut. It really doesn't matter about the weak bond to the PVC fairing. The fairing is locked in place within the 'pocket' when the Hysol sets up and the trailing edge is 'zipped' up. In other words, the fairing can't turn on the strut because of the way it is extruded. After almost 1,000 hrs. of abuse, nothing has come loose or fallen off Hope this helps, John.

I bonded both top & bottom surfaces with a very light bead full length; I am sure this was overkill. I did not bond the trailing edge zipper; it seems to be quite strong, especially with the top & bottom surfaces bonded.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hey, Jim what are you doing up so late? Had a good flight with Scott today. We met in the Dalles. Hope all is well!

BTW, I forgot to mention, I also used Hysol on both top and bottom surfaces of the PVC pocket.