Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Norm's Model IV covering Progress

Default Re: Norm's Model IV covering Progress

I was not happy with the way the fabric was pulling on the door sill so I redid it with some polyester quilt batting. Then I put a circle of fabric over the batting. I will finish up with some tape in the area so I will have plenty of strenght. I am moving now so I just keep going when I can. Gotta try to have this ready to fly in the spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got some tapes on the pilot side. Going slower than I want but making progress.

Belly Tapes on today.

Hey Norm
    Looks like you're making good progress. 😊
    Mike

Norm,
    Not having covered a plane...yet...is that darker color on the belly due to additional adhesive or is it just wet? Looking more like a plane everyday...spring flying seems reasonable. Do you have a color picked out? Any sneak peaks at a paint scheme? I've always been fond of the simplicity and style of N851BH (New Picture Album) as the first paint scheme that I fell for when joining the forum years ago. Although, if time and talent permits, the designs by Esser (click name for thread) are appealing too. Let us all know and keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Pilot4Life; 02-02-2016 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Additional remarks on post after reviewing.
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

I am using stewart systems glue to attach fabric. It is a water based system with very little odor and good to work with in an attached garage. It is also pretty easy to use. There are many videos on youtube and here is a link to the using the system to put tapes on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgXd2-FXtrM I am planning a Deep Yellow trending to orange for the main color. I was going to highlight with black but my grand daughters asked me to paint the plane Purple and Aqua-marine. I tested some paint swatches and the purple and aqua look ok with the yellow. My original plan was black on the round cowl and dropping down in a curve to the bottom of the doors. I am building this plane to introduce aviation to the grandkids so Purple might have to be the accent colour. I am hoping to have some colour on the plane by the weekend so I will get the photos up soon and show you the colour. Once the colour is on I mount the motor and start the firewall forward installation. Shooting for spring but it's good to make progress. The plane has been in the shop for 3yrs and now that I have a fire under my butt I want to keep going before I loose that zap.

Quote Originally Posted by Northof49 View Post
    Hey Norm
    Looks like you're making good progress. 😊
    Mike
    Made good progress today. Got the first coat of paint on the belly. I had a friend from Phoenix stop in today to check out the KitFox. He buildt a Carbon Cub and had his first flight at Falcon Field last year. He pointed out a couple of things that I have to check. He is an exceptional builder and spent hours with an iron on his tapes. He had his wife use a cricut machine to cut quarter size dolys for his rivit heads. The plane paid him back for his extra work with a 130Knot cruise. Kind of a fast Cub. Hopefully I will get all my base coats done and be ready to start spraying on Thursday. Big Dreams Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot4Life View Post
    Norm,
    ..is that darker color on the belly due to additional adhesive or is it just wet?
    I think it is just different lighting from the previous photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot4Life View Post
    Norm,
    I've always been fond of the simplicity and style of N851BH (New Picture Album) as the first paint scheme that I fell for when joining the forum years ago.
    Would you mind putting a link to the paint scheme you like. I have not been able to find N851BH.

Got some of the colour on today.