Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rigging help

Default Re: Rigging help

With the flexibility of the Kitfox wings, a thread or two on the rod-ends will not hurt or stress anything.

Just noticed a slight left turn on the Mangy this weekend, too.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Ross don't worry about stressing the jury struts. Just don't do all your adjustment on one rod end. If it takes more than one turn I would then turn the other rod end on the same wing the opposite direction, but not more than one turn. If it takes more, then do the rod ends on the other wing. This will give you a total of 4 turns without more than one on any rod end, and should be enough according to my and most others experience (I believe). This fairly even adjustment keeps you from noticeably upsetting the stall characteristics on any one wing.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for the replies guys. I assume that it is a two person job - one to lift the wing so the rod end can be rotated by the other person?

I plan to try one rod adjustment at a time, starting with the left wing forward rod and increasing angle of attack (its the L wing that is dropping)

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Just a question... Is the left turning tendency happen when you are solo... sitting to the left of center?

I had a left turning tendency in my old Ercoupe, scooted over in the seat to the middle and it flew straight.

Just thinking!!!

Ralph

Yes Ralph, I think the off-center weight has something to do with it, but not too much. Before I adjusted mine, I noticed the heavy left wing was not quite so much with a pax to balance the load, but it was still there. Since I fly solo 90+% of the time, I adjusted the rod ends to give level wings when solo. Now when I take a passenger I honestly don't notice any right turning tendency, maybe it is there in a very small amount.

Ross, I did my rod end adjustment alone, using a wigtip support made from a vertical 2x2 and a padded cross piece on top just snug under the outboard wing rib.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I'd like to affirm Jiott's comments.

1) Maybe other's mileage will vary, and, maybe it is different for the earlier/lighter Kitfoxes; but, our experience with the S7 is that the presence or absence of a passenger; or for that matter, flying solo from the right seat has little to do with any tendency to turn one way or the other.

2) Adjusting a rod end can be a one person job - the wing is really light anyway and easily handled with one rod end loose plus a simple padded holder so a person can take a coffee sip now and then to contemplate
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks guys - will adjust today and test tomorrow when we are expecting good calm weather - bit windy today! I will post results.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)