Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's Official My Model IV will have a 912

Default It's Official My Model IV will have a 912

It's official my Model IV will have a 912. I picked up an older 912 and after 10 years of playing around with 582's and learning how to keep them running and avoid cold seizures and motor outs, I get to learn a whole new way of running motors and staying in the air. I did not get an exhaust or motor mount so I have lots of work to do. I have been searching the photo albums looking for mounting techniques. Please feel free to add any photos on firewall forwards for the 912.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: It's Official My Model IV will have a 912

I'll take some photos this weekend (if nobody else chimes in sooner)
    1993 Model IV with a 912ULS Round Cowl

Thanks that would be great. The more photo's the better. I am thinking of building a bed mount for simplicity but time will tell. I am still in the recover stage. It should have been done months ago but I keep changing things and adding moifications to make it better???? Then family commitments get in the way. And I know I just added a whole bunch of work going to the 912 as I had the complete firewall forward in a 582 including mount etc. I guess I can lay a little blame on DesertFox for making me want the 912 bad enough to go to the extra cost and work. Steve took me for a ride in his Model IV with the 912ULS and I am still in awe. No wonder the KitFox is the worlds most popular kitplane.
    I have a really early model 912 with the ignition in a silver box that mounts on the firewall. If anyone has any information on this style ignition including wiring diagrams I would sure appreciate the help. I have found the two yellow that go to the rectifier and there are two whites that I suspect go to the mag to ground switch but the previous owner says the white go to the tach. Any thoughts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I have a really early model 912 with the ignition in a silver box that mounts on the firewall. If anyone has any information on this style ignition including wiring diagrams I would sure appreciate the help.
    I'll see what I can dig up.... I think I've got a similar era 912.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I have found the two yellow that go to the rectifier and there are two whites that I suspect go to the mag to ground switch but the previous owner says the white go to the tach. Any thoughts on this.
    Not 100% sure... hopefully my pictures will make it a little clearer.

I'd also suggest that you go for the "improved mount" (with the welded semicircular gusset) We didn't have the gusset and the mount cracked at about 250hrs.. (quite common apparently) All fixed now
    Example of the engine mount:
    sb55-3a.jpg
    Photo From: http://kitfoxaircraft.com/support/se...etins/sb54.htm
    Jono

That is the first generation ignition system for the 912. It is no longer supported by Rotax or anyone else.

I would highly suggest that you call LEAF, and speak to Brett at extension 154, and discuss your options on how to make this a flying engine again.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

If the old ignition system is working, I don't see a need to change it. I have had a skyfox with over 3000 hrs on the old ignition system. Still going strong. Tom

Thank you for the reply about if it ain't broke don't fix it. That is pretty much the way I feel. Anybody I talk to about the older ignition system is that it seems to be very solid. I was talking to another teamKitFox member and he mentioned that the last he heard his old plane had 1850hrs trouble fee. I am a little confused about the wiring on the old ignition system as I don't know where the mag ground wires are. I see two lugs on the aluminum box and I am thinking that these to ground will shut the ignition off. Of course I am a long way from starting the motor but I do not want to destroy anything without first finding out how this is wired. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.
    Norm

Yes the 2 posts are for the ignition ground wires. The box is bulky but it all seems to work well. Regards Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Planesmaker View Post
    Yes the 2 posts are for the ignition ground wires. The box is bulky but it all seems to work well. Regards Tom
    Thanks Tom

G'day Mate,
    As promised some photos of my 1993 era Rotax install.

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_2905.jpg

IMG_2906.jpg

I'll be near the plane for the next 2 days so if you have any special request photos just ask :-)
    Jono