Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folded Wing brace specs

Default Folded Wing brace specs

I'm about to bring home a Kitfox IV-1200, in a week or so, does anyone have a dimention for the wing braces used for trailering, or should I measure and make something up, as the owner/builder said he can't find them. 1994 model. Thanks

Default Re: Folded Wing brace specs

When I brought mine home last fall, I brought a 10' length of 1/2" electrical conduit cut in half, a hack saw, and a hand sledge hammer. A large ball peen hammer would work as well. I folded the wings back, and took a good look at what I needed the support to look like. I hammered one end of a strut flat for about two inches. I bent the tab over until the conduit pointed toward the leading edge and marked it close to where I would need to hammer the other end flat. I marked the side to hit so it would be flat against the wing. Wham, wham, bend, bend, cut, and I had one done. I drilled a couple holes, and Bob's your uncle, I had one done. Lather, rinse, repeat and the other side is done as well. It is important to get your angles right and you may want to put some padding like a leather washer between the support and the wing. Making the supports was by far the easiest part of that day, but it was a day I will never forget.

edit: I could send you mine if you like.

That's great, I will do just that, I thank you and appreciate the response, I might drop by the metal supermarket and pick up some tubeing instead, or just buy conduit as you used, either or, that is awsom info and will do the trick. I have about a two and a half hr haul for this thing, straight highway for the most part. Thankyou

Mine was a day from Hell. My rental trailer was 2" too narrow, my friend had a trailer, but his truck died, and we ended up on a freshly chip sealed road. Oh, and it was raining the whole time! It would have been like National Lampoon Vacation except we didn't have a dead Aunt tied to the roof of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    When I brought mine home last fall, I brought a 10' length of 1/2" electrical conduit cut in half, a hack saw, and a hand sledge hammer. A large ball peen hammer would work as well. I folded the wings back, and took a good look at what I needed the support to look like. I hammered one end of a strut flat for about two inches. I bent the tab over until the conduit pointed toward the leading edge and marked it close to where I would need to hammer the other end flat. I marked the side to hit so it would be flat against the wing. Wham, wham, bend, bend, cut, and I had one done. I drilled a couple holes, and Bob's your uncle, I had one done. Lather, rinse, repeat and the other side is done as well. It is important to get your angles right and you may want to put some padding like a leather washer between the support and the wing. Making the supports was by far the easiest part of that day, but it was a day I will never forget.

edit: I could send you mine if you like.
    Pardon me, I don't mean to steel the thread, but I have a Type III and cold use braces on mine also. Where do they attach?

Regards,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

From the bottom end of the wing strut to the bolt hole on the leading edge. You have to remove the nut from the bolt that holds the lower strut fitting, attach the support, and re-install the nut. At the wing end the support goes under the leading edge and you only use the bottom bolt hole. I don't think I would use the long wing bolt. Maybe you can, I didn't want to risk it.

If your plane has float fittings, use the rear fitting tab holes to attach the support tube at the bottom of the wing strut.

I don't like using bolts in the spar fitting as the threads act like a file when inserting and removing. Pins made out of longer bolts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Can I get the diameter of the pipe in the pic? also is it aluminum or galvanized????

thanks in advance, I plan on making the same setup
    Gary
    Kitfox 4 1200
    Eastern Ontario
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    From the bottom end of the wing strut to the bolt hole on the leading edge. You have to remove the nut from the bolt that holds the lower strut fitting, attach the support, and re-install the nut. At the wing end the support goes under the leading edge and you only use the bottom bolt hole. I don't think I would use the long wing bolt. Maybe you can, I didn't want to risk it.

Thanks for the info.
    Chuck Gruby

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    If your plane has float fittings, use the rear fitting tab holes to attach the support tube at the bottom of the wing strut.

I don't like using bolts in the spar fitting as the threads act like a file when inserting and removing. Pins made out of longer bolts.
    Tha pictures help out a lot, thanks.
    Chuck Gruby