Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing Wire

Default Wing Wire

I'm trying to find the best location to bring my wiring bundle through/around Rib 1 into the side of the cabin. I'm wondering what others have done at this point. Right now I have the bundle trailing along behind the rear spar between the first and second ribs. Should I go through Rib 1 behind the spar, or lay the wire bundle on top of the spar and route the wire through the lightening hole where the fuel line will enter the cabin?

I hope I've explained what I'm trying to do, but will give more detail if needed.

Advice needed.

Thanks
    Last edited by MotReklaw; 07-17-2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: grammar
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Default Re: Wing Wire

Tommy,

I am pretty sure builders have come to a number of different conclusions on how to do this...probably more than one good way.

I drilled a hole through the buttrib web just above where the fuel line goes and used a grommet and service loop on the wire bundle to make it easy on the wires when the wing is folded (Standard practice - electrical above...fuel below) (see my last photo under the recent thread regarding buttrib installation)

From there I ran the wire along the back of the spar securing it with silicon to prevent chafing. Once past the fuel tank bay I ran the wire under the rear spar between the spar and lower capstrip thereafter secured the bundle along the lower false rib support to the end of the wing. Secured to the false rib support with zip ties and silicon at the ribs web crossing to prevent chafing. (Photo)

BTW - once the fabric is on the wing - there is little or no room between the fabric and the top of the rear spar at mid-bay. Also - tie wraps on the aluminum spar - not a good idea - they can wear into the spar with time and vibration.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave S; 07-17-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Ran mine out through the rear spars to the wing tips. Just place then in clear pvc tubing or heat shrink to prevent chaffing.

Dick B
    SS7

did the same as dick , inside the rear spar . only i used the black flexible wire bundle conduit that the use for cars . its comes split so after i installed the wires i used spot tie every foot or so to make sure it didnt open up in the spar after i pulled it in . i kind of wished i had installed connectors in the wing root . i did have to remove the wings for gas tank work and the connectors would have save some time by not having to remove the wing tips and pulling out the wires . but hopefully wings dont have to come off that often .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks guys, that gives me some good ideas to work with.

I do appreciate the help.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama