Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denatured Alcohol

Default Denatured Alcohol

I am having a hard time finding denatured alcohol. Will Isopropyl alcohol work?

Default Re: Denatured Alcohol

Esser, I got my denatured alcohol at the hardware store (Home Depot). I don't know if Isopropyl Alcohol will work.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Josh,

Isopropyl is a poor substitute for denatured alcohol - is is not as effective a solvent a denatured.

I bought gallons of the stuff from the paint department at Menards - don't know if you have them where you live. Another possibility if you have a fleet or farm store - check there, but as Stan said - the large chain hardware stores should have it.

Good luck,

Dave S
    St Paul MN

It sounds like Canada is a tough place to find denatured alcohol. One place you should try is dedicated woodworking stores or anybody who makes or repairs classical guitars/violins. Many fine instruments are finished with shellac and this requires denatured alcohol. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try some specialty stores. Home Depot and Lowe's didn't have it.

Ace Hardware has it.

Lee Valley has it if you want to pay!
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

Esser,

Go to the Sarnia Home Depot on Quinn Drive to buy Methyl Hydrate. You’ll find it in the paint section in 978 ml bottles for about $4.19 or a 3.78L jug for about $10.29

In the US, methyl hydrate, CH4O, is sold as a solvent under the name denatured alcohol. The US revenuers don’t want folks drinking ethanol without paying taxes so they exempt industrial ethanol users if they add a "denaturing" agent, methanol, making the brew poisonous. Methyl hydrate is also called wood alcohol, methyl alcohol, methyl hydroxide, and methanol. Regardless of the name you wouldn't want to drink it as it will cause blindness with as little as one shot. Three shots is fatal.

In Canada, you will find methanol sold as methyl hydrate. In the UK it's called methylated spirits.

Do not confuse methanol, CH4O with ethanol, C2H6O, which should be filtered through charcoal and aged in oak barrels for 12 years to make Gentleman Jack. Also do not confuse it with iso-propyl or rubbing alcohol, C3H8O, which is sold in pharmacies for sterilizing.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, Texas

Thanks John!
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

Thanks John! I knew it had to be somewhere. We use metholhydrate a lot at work. I just never knew it was the same stuff.