Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: What is Superfil.

Default What is Superfil.

How is superfil used and where is it found? I have made a mistake on my SS7 and am trying to figure out the best way to correct it. I misunderstood the door latch installation instructions and mounted it on the door frame of the fuselage. I then cut the door frame angle (part # 52952.000) to fit around the door latch. I have since removed the door latch and fitted it to the aluminum door frame as it should be. Now I need to figure out how to repair the door frame angle piece. Can aluminum be soldered or is superfil something that can help? I will call the holes drilled in the fuselage lightening holes. Hope others learn from my mistake.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Default Re: What is Superfil.

Super Fil!

Some photos of how I used Super Fil on my door angles:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Since I can only guess at your situation I can't say that Super Fil is a solution to your problem. I hope these photos help you make that determination.

I've also had a number of "learning experiences." Press on!!

Thanks Tom,
    From what I see with your photos and the link you added, I think Superfil is exactly what I need. I have been needing to place an order with ACS anyway. Lot's to do while I wait.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Keep in mind, superfill is a lightweight filler (think nice form of Bondo). If you need any sort of structural strength to the part you cut out, then no it's not going to work. You may have to replace the metal or make a patch somehow.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

If I understand what you're describing, I think the area you cut away will be covered in fabric. Perhaps you could take some scrap from the same material and create a patch to fill the area. Bond in place with Hysol and smooth things out with some superfil or micro.

Thanks people, there is no structural integrety involved. Szicree, you hit it on the head. Hysol and then superfil to smooth it out. Just some more work to do.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

SuperFil is a Polyfiber product and is available from Kitfox.

Jim