Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Looking for suggestions on the flap handle installation.

Default Looking for suggestions on the flap handle installation.

#1 What methods did others use to secure the detent pin when drilling the 1/16 in. through it?
    #2 What method was used to line up the pieces to put that detent pin in through all those holes in the flap handle?

Thanks for all suggestions. I don't want to even begin until I know 100% what I am going to do and I am baffled; which ain't hard to do.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Default Re: Looking for suggestions on the flap handle installation.

Hi Stan,

I'll take a shot at your question; however, it has been 8 years since I did this particular task on our Kitfox.

I am assuming the Slider already has the holes for the detent pin and for the lock pin - get back to me if I am wrong on this.

For: "#1 What methods did others use to secure the detent pin when drilling the 1/16 in. through it?"

What a person does depends on available equipment.

A) If you have milling machine with an adjustable table and table vise that is the best; however, a person can get this done just fine with less - just have to be careful and take your time.

B) If you have a drill press and a drill press vice the answer is to clamp the detent pin up - square it up and bolt the drill press vise down so the 1/16" drill is dead center on the detent pin.

It works best to be sure you have a new/sharp drill - don't even think of drilling small parts like this with a dull or well used drill bit. Chuck the drill so a minimum length is sticking out of the chuck - this will help minimize the tendency of the bit to bend and drift off to the side of the pin's crown. Center punch the detent pin before drilling and make sure the center punch mark is top-center - start the drilling operation slowly and correct your clamp-up if there is any drift from center before proceeding further. It is entirely possible to get into the detent pin 1/32" with the 1/16" drill or so and if it is not centered to rotate the detent pin - realign at center and continue on your way with no trouble at all - just have to watch carefully and see what is happening and not just run the drill through and find out it is off center when there is nothing left to do but get a new pin and try again

C) If you have no milling machine or drill press - this can be done free-hand with a hand held drill if the Detent pin is put in a vise and care is taken with careful observation as to how you hold the drill. Artsy; but, with care it will work just fine.

FYI - I would not want to try this with if both the work and drill were free hand - at least the pin needs to be clamped in a vise

Any doubts - get a piece of scrap steel rod the same OD as your detent pin and drill away till you feel comfortable you can make a centered hole - than go for it.

Now - for: "#2 What method was used to line up the pieces to put that detent pin in through all those holes in the flap handle?"

The bearing lock compound does not harden instantly so a person can move the pin around to line up the 1/16" hole.

Visually observe the position of the detent pin hole when inserting it into the slider - when you have it where you think it should be - use a large sewing needle or a similar tapered/pointed object to see if the holes are aligned - if not - grab the end of the detent pin with a needle nose or push it back and forth till you find the holes align - may have to diddle with it a bit till it aligns - when it does - the roll pin should press right through - a small flat nose punch will get the roll pin past the lever tube.

This deal sort of looks like a traditional mechanic's nightmare with springs and small parts and such; however, I don't remember it being particularly difficult.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp

Default Re: Looking for suggestions on the flap handle installation.

Thanks Dave. I found a Metal works business that did the hole in about 5 minutes for free. You can bet any for pay work I need done will go to them. Nice people. Tip #2 sounds like a good way to go. The wife has lots of needles.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF