Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barn find- what's a KFIV-1200 kit worth?

Default Re: Barn find- what's a KFIV-1200 kit worth?

No, the seller is at $11,000.

I am going to Osh Kosh for the first time this year so I will just wait and do some shopping at the show. Maybe a SS7 is in the works. I really like the Savage bobber look so i could be the first to build a Kitfox bobber.

Quote Originally Posted by MotReklaw View Post
    Uh oh, are you thinking what I'm thinking Paul?

Tommy.....I'm not looking for another project, but I know someone who is.
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

11K actually sounds pretty reasonable to me(unless it's a 1050 gross weight version). It's a popular plane obviously. If I were still in the market I wouldn't expect to pay less than 10K for a clean model IV kit and in my opinion, if you're paying less than that it's because you're the only one that knows its available. There are plenty of people out there willing to pay 10K(or more) for an unmolested model IV kit. Just look at how fast they go on barnstormers. Just because someone got a steal of a deal and they brag about how cheap they got it doesn't mean that's the market value. Great if you can get a good deal, but I think the expectations presented here are a little too optomistic in a typical situation.

I agree with Geowitz. I have heard that the factory sort of discourages the IV in favor of 7 sales, so for practical purposes partially built IV kits are what is in the market. I have long suspected that the IV will eventually climb in price because if its agility, light weight and overall performance and growing scarcity. I paid about $10,000 for mine three years ago after paying $11,000 in 1993. The kit was complete but rigged up front for the 582, so making the conversion was on me, but enjoyable. For some reason the heavies don't interest me very much and I suspect these sentiments are not uncommon. I fully understand budgets as I am on one, but think of the recent lottery - three winners and a hundred million losers. Think supply and demand - good luck.
    Lowell

It was on barnstormers at $12k and no one bought it. I took a chance and sent a message to see if it sold. IMHO, it's too much money. It is set up for a 582.

I bought my current project for exactly 1/2 the kit price so my perspective is probably off.

However, if you have a plane that has sat for a few years and you want to cash out, why ask what you paid? I have the cash and suspect I will come home from Osh Kosh with a lot less cash.