Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drat ! it's leaking

Default Re: Drat ! it's leaking

This bulletin only covers the tanks produced by Kitfox Aircraft. Tanks produced for the I,II,III,IV,V and 6 are an entirely different material.

For what it's worth, Wicks still shows the Randolph alcohol resistent sealer for sale.

I sloshed a set of tanks last year (March 2011) with Bill Hirsch Gas Tank Sealer from Aircraft Spruce.

They were originally coated with the Kreem, and before sloshing I rinsed them out with fuel. I sloshed them twice; the first slosh I diluted with MEK(aprox 2oz to the quart), the second slosh I did not dilute. I got great coverage in the tank. After the second slosh, I let the tanks sit for about a week before filling with fuel.

They are not installed in the aircraft yet, but they are kept full of fuel (10% ethanol-based) as a test. So far, there is no sign of leaking or delam, as I do tap tests on the tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    This bulletin only covers the tanks produced by Kitfox Aircraft. Tanks produced for the I,II,III,IV,V and 6 are an entirely different material.
    Lowell,

While SB #60 was written by Kitfox Aircraft for fuel tanks manufactured since November 2007, the proper slosh/rinse procedure recommended for the earlier model 1-6 tanks is also specifically mentioned... and that is my point exactly. One must be certain to prepare their tank(s) properly depending upon whether polyester or vinyl ester resin was used during the tank manufacturing process. Clearly, it was important enough for Kitfox to mention in their SB and, IMHO, worthy of reminder here in the event EG (and others) happened to miss it.

Regards, Doug
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

I am kinda confused. My model 4 was made in about 2001. Do I need to slosh the tanks with something before installing them in teh wings, even though I will be running car gas with no alcohol? I was just going to pressure test the tanks before covering with fabric.

Roger

If you are still at that stage I would definitely advise rincing and sloshing them. It's very surprising that (in KS) you can still get uncontaminated gas. Will you still be able to in the future? That's the great unknown.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Yes, the 91 octain BP gas has no alcohol here, and the gas station is near the airport. Also, my ellison injector carb can't used fuels with alcohol either.

Oh, by "slosh", what product do you mean for my particular tanks?

Even if you have ethanol free gas I would still treat the tanks before they go in your wing. It's easier now than later plus you never know when you might not have that supply anymore. Worst case it would help with resale

Thanks Doug, I did reread the SB and the only reference to the prior to 2007 tanks I could find is - quote:

Tanks that do not have serial numbers etched in the side of the tank were manufactured prior to November 2007. Do not use Acetone in these tanks. They do need to be rinsed thoroughly but rinsing with AVGAS would be the suggested rinse media.

I would suspect that the tanks referred to are the tanks Kitfox Aircraft manufactured before the resin formula change. John has, with good reason, been very reluctant to offer advice on products produced by previous companies. The use of Acetone with regard to the removal of Kreem prior to re-sloshing has been a common practice with no reports of adverse effects.
    Lowell

I have tanks from around 2000 and rinsed with acetone with great results, would not use tanks without rinsing in this fashion.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive