Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drat ! it's leaking

Post Drat ! it's leaking

Errrrr, just when I was bragging on how well my KFIII was doing I discovered the wing tanks were leaking. It's had fuel in it for several months and I've just noticed the leak. I've been very careful not to use any fuel with alcohol in it. Does anyone have any good experiences with any of the sloshing compounds available. The tanks appeared to have been orginially coated with Kreem.

thanks,

EG

Default Re: Drat ! it's leaking

When I acquired my kit it was partially completed . the tanks were installed and the wings covered and painted . The tanks were the small ones made in the early 90s . I made a attempt to slosh them with a epoxy tank sealer . Just can't be sure of how complete of coverage you get unless you stick in a borescope . With the baffles and the limited working time of the epoxy, I wasn't sure of the coverage . It really didn't matter to me since once I got her flying I found that the two small tanks just wasnt enough gas . I had never used any alcohol gas and didn't have any leaks but replaced one tank at around 100 hrs and the other at about 250 hrs . I replace them both with 13gal new alcohol resistant tanks .
    Never looked back , really happy with the big tanks
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Any chance you can reach the leak with Pro-Seal?
    They have this new injectable type applicator:

I'm thinking maybe cut a section out of the top on the tanks and go in and pro seal entire tank. Then pro seal and rivet an aluminum cover over the hole. Seems like I read about someone doing this. Will pro seal stick to kreem ? I'm open to suggestions.

thanks
    EG

EG,
    If you are going to go as far as opening the wings then I would look into the roto-molded tanks (plastic) that are made to fit into the existing ones. Someone here might know the web site address, but the idea was cutting out the top of the fiberglass tanks and inserting the plastic tanks. This would be a solution (I believe) to using the alcohol laced fuel, with the only downside I can see being the weight increase. FWIW

Found it... http://www.wingtanks.com/ Has anyone tried these?
    Dan
    Last edited by DanB; 03-20-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Resloshing the existing tanks is most likely the best approach. Cleaning out the old Kreeme and resealing should solve the problem short of replacing with new Kitfox fiberglass tanks, another option.
    8 years ago, right after first flights, I had a leak in one tank and had to slosh it with Randolph's 912 alcohol resistant slosh. I've heard since that this product may not be available anymore. Had several friends there to help remove the offending wing and assist with the rinsing and then sloshing and then reinstall the wing. Not an easy job but doable with good assistants. Solved the problem without opening the wing and replacing a useable tank along with the fabric repair and repainting.

Haven't heard of any successes yet with cutting the tops out of existing tanks and using the drop in roto-molded tanks. Remember that your fuel tanks are a structural component of the wings construction along with forming a large section of the top surface shape of each wing.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

9 months ago I removed one wing and sloshed my leaking 13 gal. tank with a compound recommended by John McBean. I think the sloshing fluid was "line-a-tank" John could confirm. So far, no problems. I am currently helping another Kitfox owner patch his wing where he had to remove the covering to determine where his leak was. His leak was adjacent to the fill opening at the top of the tank, on the tip side of the tank. He thinks that possibly force on the tank opening with fuel nozzels, etc. caused the seam to come apart.
    Bruce Estes
    KF4 with 912ULS, Dynon, IVO IFA
    A total blast to fly

Leaking tanks are very discouraging. I think if I were in your situation, the first thing I'd try is to use Kreem in the tanks. I helped my neighbor Kreem his tanks while still installed in the wings. It was awkward but it worked. You can buy Kreem online. Youtube has many videos to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT3vUX7vUGs

This may be the cheapest way out initially.

I'm about to Kreem a pair of tanks in my current project. This might work out a little easier since these aren't installed in the wing yet.

Good Luck!
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Resloshing is the thing to do before major surgery. a couple of things to keep in mind. The wing needs to be removed so it can be moved in all positions to cover all slurfaces including inverted. The top fabric should be covered with vinyl sheeting taped in place to protect the finish from spills. All ports should be plugged. The old Kreem should be removed. The typical method is to use a couple of gallons of Acetone, one at a time. For some reason, the acetone rinse produces a gas pressure that needs to be vented a time or two during the rinse to avoid opening a seam. Don't know the recommended procedure now, especially with the newer sealers, but I seem to recall in the old says, the Kreem was reduced about 50% with MEK. I did it once with some rather elaborate support structures, but a friend is essential to help and three or four is even better. Wings get heavy when held by hand for several minutes.
    Lowell

Refer to Kitfox Service Bulletin #60 for proper tank preparation.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)