srileo,

When your pocket book rubs against your wants then it gets a little tough. You might try buying into a plane in your area. When I was younger, like you, I couldn't afford to do it on my own and get the quality I wanted. Pooling your resources with other like minded individuals might be an option. You might post a notice at your local airport that you are looking to buy into a plane.

Based on how level headed you appear to be, I would extend you an invitation to become a 4th partner in our project. Might not work though with the travel time between SF and the Birmingham, AL area. Partnerships, if properly formed, are a great way to be able to fly and maintain an airplane the way it should be kept up. But looking at it from my end, it would be a win-win situation, I could get some of the goodies I want for the plane, and you could get a 1/4 ownership....

Many people can't afford to fly now with the cost of maintaining an airplane and paying for fuel, etc., but they could with a partner. Too, if you're really interested in flying, you could get your license, move up to a CFI ticket and get to fly even more while instructing.... But, I'm looking at this from my perspective and I'm sure that with all the family obligations you have and bringing up baby, you will be overwhelmed with it all. I was not able to pursue my dream of flying until I was in my 50s and my kids were out of school. I was a school teacher and barely made enough for my kids to not qualify for free/reduced lunches, much less own/fly and airplane.

Just keep the dream alive and someday, who knows....