Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hks 700e ?

Default Hks 700e ?

I've posted this question a couple places but haven't got alot of info so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm trying to decide on an engine and it's between the Rotax 582 or the HKS 700e for an early Kitfox/Avid.

I haven't found any performance data for the plane with the HKS to help me decide one way or the other but I like the reliability of the four stroke with the long TBO and the lower fuel consumption.

Anyone have some input, good or bad to share?

btw this plane has extended speed wings.

Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Default Re: Hks 700e ?

Thanks, I did see that older thread and I'm hopeing theres a few more people running the HKS now. I noticed that thread was started in 2008

Hi birddog 486, I'm still flying my Kitfox III / HKS and as far as I'm concerned it the best money I spent on the Kitfox. Have 460 hrs and it preforming great, 3 gph fuel burn 91 octane have only replaced a couple of carb boots, spark plugs and oil and filters, it starts instantly and runs nice smooth and quiet. Check here there's a fellow that has an Avid powered HKS in the group.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HKS-engines/
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Mnflyer

What prop do you use with hks? And do you have a special thing for cooling the head cylinder or just wind enter from rond nose?
    Dave

Hi Dave I have a 68" 2 blade Warp Drive prop it has worked very well, as for the cooling I did fabricated some very simple baffles to direct the air in and around the cylinder barrels (the heads of the HKS are oil cooled) the air exits out the bottom and I did install a lip just ahead of the opening to create a venturi effect and it works good the CHT generally run around 300 to 307*F oil temps are near 160 t0 175*F.
    GB

Thank's

If you have a picture of your hks installation....i appreciate!

Dave

Another question....do you use a standard muffler or custom?
    Dave

Hi Dave, I used the HKS type 6 muffler / exhaust, if you go to my album I have a number of photos posted if you'd like more let me know.
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=18
    GB

Mnflyer, is that the STOL wing on your plane? My Avid will have the extended speedwing and I'm really curious on the speeds I would be getting with the HKS.

Did you fab the intakes? Would having the carbs on top cause issues with the cowl?