Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: radiator position

Default radiator position

What is the reason that the radiator is mounted so far afterwards/?
    It would be much easier to mount it right under the firewall isn't it?

How is the radiator mounted to the fuselage,I can't find it in my building instructions.

Thank you

eric hendriks

Default Re: radiator position

Eeric,
    Can't answer the position question, except to say it might have to do with the mounting question. The radiator is attached to the floorboard with through bolts. You will use a panhead screw on top of the floorboard with large fender type washers, then a spacer under the floorboard to the level of the bottom of the structural tubing. I just checked my airplane and this mounting would be impossible at the firewall as that is where the rudder pedal torque tubes are.
    Lowell
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the same time mine is is broken at one fitting, it's the second time i soldered it and after a couple of hours it break again.
    The problem that it is so thin that it's hard to solder without making a hole in the metal.

I have found that we can by an aluminum one on a web site but i don't remember where. As its form is specific i can't buy a standard Rotax one.

Thanks in advance

Kitfox now sells an aluminum radiator.

It looks to me that the origal mounting with bolts throug the floorbord is not optimal.
    I am thinking to make a mount from alu and bolt it to the 2 float mounts
    Or is this a bad idea?

Hi guys,
    just joined yer group and hope to get some input. I have a rotax 582 and am going to get the belly mount rad for it. Is it possible to mount it near the front of the engine and make a scoop into the existing cowl? I have a smooth 2 piece cowl. I'm thinking it would be a lot more efficient there vs under the floorboards where all the hot air is? Any and all input is welcome, both pro's and con's.

I don't think efficiency is an issue with it mounted in the original location under the floorboards. It's worked fine for most 582 drivers. It just doesn't look as nice as one integrated into a fairing. As long as you can get the airflow through it, you can mount it anywhere.

-- Paul S

[QUOTE Is it possible to mount it near the front of the engine and make a scoop into the existing cowl? I have a smooth 2 piece cowl. I'm thinking it would be a lot more efficient there vs under the floorboards where all the hot air is? Any and all input is welcome, both pro's and con's.[/QUOTE]

It would be an interesting project. Keep in mind, though, you will be having to move a lot of air. I think of the Series 7 that has an internal radiator. The radiator is about 50% larger because of airflow issues and it uses a NACA vent in front which is super efficient at sucking in air. Even with this, I understand there are occasional cooling issues.

Historically, some of the 582 guys would move the radiator down a bit using longer spacers in the summer. then back up in winter, but otherwise, the existing system has worked fine for years.
    Lowell

THanks for the input guys. Not out to reinvent the wheel. think I'll go with the belly mount.

When I had my Mk 4/582 I had a standard sized radiator that worked fine in the normal place under the floorboard. When I then had the undercarriage upgraded to Grove, the gear passed an inch behind the radiator and blocked about a third of the exit air coming through the radiator. The coolant ran much hotter (too hot) and that was in the winter so I realised I had to do something about it.

I considered all sorts of different radiator options and settled eventually for the over-sized radiator (from Kitfox) mounted in the same position. The coolant temps dropped by 30 degrees C and it worked fine after that. Speed wasn't affected even though it hung lower by about an inch than the standard sized one.

It depends a lot on what engine you have, the volume of water in your system (ie the bore of the pipes and the distance back to the radiator), the coolant mix % (ie 50:50 will run a lot hotter than 30 coolant :70 water), and your flying style.
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK