Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: A good feeling

Default A good feeling

Since finishing my plane it has flown well and the engine has run flawlessly however there was often an indicator or two that were near the edge of the range and somtimes over. Oil temps would somtimes be high and erratic, oil pressure could drift to the low end of the range and even the battery voltage might hover around 12V. Though I could find nothing wrong these things would gnaw at the back of my mind and take some of the joy out of flying. I recently found that the case of my Dynon was not grounded effectively and added a 14 gauge ground line. So today I took the plane out for a few hours, full tilt, slow cruise, aggressive extended climbs and some basic horsing around and everything was rock solid. Oil temps stayed below 200 and moved only with throttle not even changing by one degree in steady state (something I have not seen before), batt voltage at a constant 13.3. All of this had me putting the plane away today not wondering if I was missing something and my full confidence has been restored.
    Sorry for the long post but I am in a good mood and wanted to share.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: A good feeling

Good thing that you nailed the probleme Dorsal, It is amazing that those little thing have grate effect ont the avionics systemes. I will try to remembrer when installing mine, thank's for shearing......

Hi Dorsal, I know the feeling there is nothing like a poor ground to drive ya crazy and make things erratic. Glad you found it it like it should be. Happy flying
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Good news. Always nice to track down a fault and resolve a frustrating issue.
    You'll enjoy that engine even more now.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I thought that is why we fly airplanes so we are not "grounded" LOL good job on finding the little gremlin and my the good lord be your copilot all the time

Good info to share for what you had to suffer through. I used "electrically conductive grease" on all my ground busses,and others too. It was much harder to find then, but much more readily available now. I used a silver based grease which will not only maximize electrical conductivity but thermal conductivity as well. You won't ever see that horrible green forming on your connections with this compound.
    Good luck builders.