Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gascolator and filter

Default Re: Gascolator and filter

[long posting]
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

We have a lot of first time builders and prospective buyers that lurk on this forum looking for guidance.

I would hope this forum can be a place to exchange ideas and opinions. Instead of saying builders should throw one component or another into the weeds, why not list what you think are the advantages of your system of choice? Conversely, you might relate experiences that would steer you away from a particular component or system. I see little value in suggesting a builder should only take to the air in swathed in bubble wrap and wearing a gas mask if they don’t build it just like yours.

Alternate sources and solutions is what experimental aviation is about. We experiment, we learn, and hopefully we share. Some things work… some don’t. I will not fault anyone for trying something different.

As I see it, there are many different ways to plumb the fuel system; as well as where and what type of filter to install.

Here’s my take on two components.

First the gascolator

My publicly stated choice is the gascolator mounted forward of the firewall. I admit, it is a rather traditional choice having been used in aircraft for more than fifty years. A gascolator effectively filters out debris and small amounts of water. The filters screens are available from 10 microns to 140 microns.

The firewall location is not the lowest point in the Kitfox fuel system when the tail dragger sits on the ground, but there is a header tank behind the seat with a quick drain to purge any water during preflight that has settled in the header. In flight, the firewall gascolator is at, or near, the lowest point in the system.

Are gascolators failure proof? No. But the track record is pretty good at preventing more engine failures than causing them. I like them because of the ease of inspection. You can open them to clean the screen, look at any debris to track the source, and they have a large internal area that is unlikely to clog under normal conditions. Water passing though does not cause the screen to swell or create a blockage.

I like the advantage of being able to take a sample of the fuel during preflight for visual inspection. The sampling also flushes the screen a small amount so that a trend of contamination may be noted.

My gascolator uses AN fittings. I have aluminum fuel line from the header to the engine.

Does the gascolator have any disadvantages? Possibly.

During flight I cannot look at the gascolator and tell if there is any impending blockage. The cost at USD $70 is more than an auto filter, but the screens can be cleaned and reused many times. A new screen costs about USD $3.

Next: Automotive inline filters

The big plusses I see of automotive filters are cost and availability. The low cost allows a builder to install multiple units and change them frequently.

The auto filters come in many configurations lending them to ease of installation.
    They can be installed with hoses or hard line. Normally a hose and a clamp is all that is needed. With proper maintenance the installation is perfectly adequate.

Many auto filters are transparent, allowing the user to visually inspect the filter.

The internal element is usually a paper or fiber type with very good fuel filtering capability.

The disadvantages for me are:

The paper element can swell when saturated with water, causing the filter to block fuel flow. For automotive applications that is a good thing as it will stop the engine before water can get to the carburetor or injectors. I would rather an aircraft engine continue to run, even if poorly, than quit.

I find looking through the plastic to inspect for debris is less than accurate. A plastic filter can look new and be completely blocked.

Automotive inline filters are typically plastic bodied with hose barb ends. I prefer the metal body of the gascolator with AN fittings.

There is no quick way to sample fuel from an automotive filter during preflight. Installing one low in the system is pointless as there is no way to flush it to drain any water.

Personal Experience

I’m sure different builders have reports of failures from either system. If enough debris or water gets into the fuel system, either an automotive filter or a gascolator will clog and the engine will quit.

I live in an area with high humidity and water in fuel systems is common. I drain lots of water from airplane tanks and sumps in the summer. We can get 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity here in East Texas.

I’ve had too many of my farm vehicles quit when a filter swelled with water. Because of the experience with the farm equipment, I wouldn’t install one in an aircraft. It’s just a chance I don’t want to take and flying with one is outside my comfort zone. Your experience may be just fine in the arid zones of Central California or Arizona.

This posting is merely my personal opinion and a chance to share my thought process as to why I choose the gascolator over automotive inline filters. It is not gospel and I won’t flame anyone for doing it differently. I welcome your experiences.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    My gascolator uses AN fittings. I have aluminum fuel line from the header to the engine.
    I'm sure you mean to the firewall and not all the way to the engine, right?

I agree with John for the most part. What troubles me a little bit is the wealth of information over more than 15 years of Kitfox discussion group input that apparently begs to be ignored. Just for fun, I checked the archives of another board and got 400 hits on gascolator. Many of my posts reflect the wisdom of brighter minds than mine. If some of you want to poke fun while reinventing the wheel, no problem here as long as the genuinely curious mind gets the full spectrum of ideas.
    Lowell

I simply followed the engine install instructions, headertank for sump, in-line for the filter. I replace the filter every 100 hrs (done so once, about to again) and inspect it. Seems to me there is enough track record to suggest multiple acceptable approaches.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

John;

Ok, seriously now; you point out an interesting thing about using inline automobile fuel filters. Even though the paper element can swell when saturated with water, causing the filter to block fuel flow, we CAN use them safely if they are only located just before the fuel enters the carburetor and as long as a gassolator is the at a lower point in the fuel system so as to remove any water BEFORE it gets to our cheap but effective auto fuel filters.

You agree?

Roger

Great response.
    Very factual --

YEs paper ones are not the best choice. I too have seen them swell up.

What has Denney, Kitfox and now Mc Bean put in builders manual ?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    [long posting]

I’ve had too many of my farm vehicles quit when a filter swelled with water. Because of the experience with the farm equipment, I wouldn’t install one in an aircraft. It’s just a chance I don’t want to take and flying with one is outside my comfort zone. Your experience may be just fine in the arid zones of Central California or Arizona.

This posting is merely my personal opinion and a chance to share my thought process as to why I choose the gascolator over automotive inline filters. It is not gospel and I won’t flame anyone for doing it differently. I welcome your experiences.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

"Great response.
    Very factual --

YEs paper ones are not the best choice. I too have seen them swell up.

What has Denney, Kitfox and now Mc Bean put in builders manual ?

Dave"

My KF SS manual for the Continental O200 calls for a gascolator.
    Thanks
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

As i am a new member and new to the Kitfox, i must say i really enjoy reading the different view points put forward by members.....its a learning experience for me . thanks and keep the info coming, cheers
    Gary
    Kitfox 4 1200
    Eastern Ontario
    Canada

My s7 fwf kit called for and included an in-line filter to be placed just before the fuel pump. Not sure how water is going to get to it if you sump the header. I am also a bit surprised by the passion for the topic give there must be thousands of planes in either configuration. I certainly don't have any strong opinions on this just did what the good book told me.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Anyone have any thoughts on this?...

I've got a little different situation. I have an HKS 700T. Still working through the install, but the manual calls for a pre filter somewhere in the system before the fuel pump. Gascolator may be nice for this and would allow for sump inspections, but not really neccessary in my opinion as any water that may collect is forced through or totally mixed in the return line from the fuel pressure regulator. A little water injection during warm up won't hurt anything anyways. Also, my header tank is the low point with a sump for the majority of water in the system. Basically my concern is more about debris. My thoughts are to put a see through(NON paper) filter between each tank and the header and then after the pump there is a finer filter that is supplied with the engine.

Lowell - Had a specific question for you... In a previous post you mentioned you have had good results with the glass purolator filter. Seems to be some chatter online about ethanol camptability and what size mesh they are. Do you have any idea what the specs are for it? Can't seem to find them.