Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gascolator and filter

Default Re: Gascolator and filter

OH man. Throw that gascalator as far as you can. PUt an automotive inline plastic filter, 1/4 inch ends just after the on/off valve. replace the filter once a year at your anual and forget it. I don't have one of those things on my rv either. I've read more problems with leaks and such with a gascalator that I will not use em. Going flyin', yup with an auto filter.

Hi
    I would not touch a small inline automotive filter, buy a good quality gasolator such as the andair ones expensive but good quality and large filter area.my certified a/c has course finger strainers in the tanks, a large gasolator and a filter in the mech pump(0-200) and in 30 years of flying I have not had any fuel problems and this will be the system I am fitting in my mk7!!!
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

Thought I would just scare you all a bit: During annual inspection, the drain stem on my gasolator was found to be loose !!!! If that fell out in flight, there goes all my fuel !!!! Another guy (not me this time) that my A&P annual’ed was complaining because he only put 5 hours on the plane that year and didn’t need an annual. Turns out, his battery had leaked and dripped on his elevator control cable!!!. Only 3 strands were left !!!!!
    Don't every let them tell you that you don't really NEED an annual inspection. It’s hard to beat a second set of experienced eyes…..
    Roger

Great

I have a gascolator in my plane .....go with him.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    OH man. Throw that gascalator as far as you can. PUt an automotive inline plastic filter, 1/4 inch ends just after the on/off valve. replace the filter once a year at your anual and forget it. I don't have one of those things on my rv either. I've read more problems with leaks and such with a gascalator that I will not use em. Going flyin', yup with an auto filter.

Total Mis-information
    use a gascolator. >> period. <<

Dave

I have a gascolator in my plane and like it very will, but check it and carbs often.

Kitfox 4 rotax 582
    Grady

Quote Originally Posted by szicree View Post
    With no gascolator and just small inline filters wouldn't this have stopped things up just as well?
    OK. If your gascolator clogs you are going down, period! I had a gascolator on my first Kitfox, ca 1998. Then the talk in the Fox community was that because the low point in the system for water accumulation was the header tank, why the duplication? Then came the header tank low fuel warning systems. For me, the way it was and the way it will be (minus the gascolator this time) - Wing tank, online filter - glass Purelator (in pilot view) low fuel indicator, header tank, electric fuel pump, fuel valve, engine driven fuel pump. Clogged filter, I will have 30 minutes fuel in the header tank to find he best place to put it down.
    Lowell

Hey HighWing - You forgot the secondary fuel bypass line, with hand squeeze bulb, just in case your loose both fuel pumps and clog all the filters at the same time !!!!!!
    Roger

Could it be we found another subject as controversial as engine choice or nose gear vs tail wheel?

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Could it be we found another subject as controversial as engine choice or nose gear vs tail wheel?
    Maybe if we try real hard...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos