Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Physical fit and true useful load question.

Default Re: Physical fit and true useful load question.

My first passenger was a CFI who flew at the time a single place Pitts. He was 250 lbs. I am 240. He, being a Pitts driver, was impressed with the flying qualitities. We were shoulder to shoulder but not uncomfortable. My brother is 6 ft 4 in. and he has flown with me in the Kitfox.In fact I believe the Kitfox is more comfortable than the RV-9A that I am flying.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Montana_Jim: Good idea. Biz is taking me to Idaho soon, think I will contact him and see if we can make that work.

Agfoxflier: thanks for the response, seems to be the consensus that it will be tight with another guy of size in the plane but not restrictively so which I am totally fine with.

Just to add my piece: I'm 6'4" but not as heavy as some of you. I'm right at 200 lb. My plane is a Series 6 with the bubble doors installed. The engine is the Rotax 912 ULS. The empty weight is 792 lb. Max takeoff weight is supposed to be 1500 lb but we haven't been able to get it there yet. Putting that much weight in the baggage area would put us out of balance.

My height is in the legs mostly but the leg room is just right. I just put the adjustable rudders as far forward as possible. If I tip my head back, it bumps the rear main spar carry thru tube, but that hasn't been a problem. The bubble doors add to the shoulder room and give great visibility. I haven't noticed any reduction in performance.

Pete N,

On your original question regarding the useful load; I thought it might be good to share with you how the useful load works out for someone like me who MADE NO ATTEMPT to keep the empty weight down.

Our plane is a series 7 with the 912ULS; and, it has what most would regard as a lot of extra weight with dual electrical systems (meaning two busses, two alternators two batteries) the optional airbox (which helps, according to Rotax, with extracting the 100 HP out of the ULS) a larger and heavier baggage enclosure, the wingtip mounted standard strobes with one power unit in each wingtip; and, a few other miscellaneous things which bring the empty weight up to 860# - well over what most folk's kitfoxes weigh.

With an 860# empty weight - that still gives a person 690# empty weight - or you can still put over 500# of people and baggage on board with full fuel. Admittedly I am somewhat of a skinny kid at 160 # and almost 6' but the series 7 as an EAB (rather than a sport plane) is better than anything I have flown before. Even maxed out at 1550 I like it.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Tribear
    912ULS, Warp Drive

Thanks Dave, sounds like you put a nice plane together!

Purely by kismet my possible Idaho biz trip got pushed to the forefront and I will be in Boise this Wednesday afternoon. I've called Kitfox and talked to John already. If all goes smoothly at my earlier meetings I should be spending Wednesday's later afternoon at the factory. I also called Paul and left him a voice mail, if he can sneaky me in I would love to buy an hour of airtime with him or one of his staff.

I'm not tall, 5-9" but I did weigh 235# when I flew from northern Georgia home to northern Wisconsin (Sun 'n Fun trip...) with a 200# 5-10" passenger in my model IV.

We were definitely heavy, (I was given the call sign "Kitfox Heavy") but the airplane performed more than adequately on only 80 hp (912UL). Easily climbing to 8000+ altitude.

The fit was cozy, but not uncomfortable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

It looks like we pretty much have the interior line for the NFL flying Kitfox aircraft. Much to be said for the design and utility of the plane! There are not many planes flying today that you can load full fuel and 570 lbs of people and gear and still be within the CG. I've had a few 4 place planes that wouldn't do that. The ATC may start giving instruction "cleared to land 36, you are trailing a Kitfox Heavy, caution wake turbulence!"

DAT
    DAT
    Model V
    912 UL - Xtra
    IVO IFA prop

Kitfox Heavy...I like that

I think your right Dat, some hefty boys on here! That said, it makes complete sense. I've been dreaming about building a kit plane since I was in high school. Most the kits that have been on the market for the past 25 years of so have a useful load in the low 500's if that. I've was 235 when I was 18 without an ounce of fat on me and it has only gone up from there. You consider the average kit carries about 20 to 25 gallons of fuel before you know it, a guy like me is looking at full fuel and possibly a chihuahua as a co-pilot. I'm guessing the larger guys in this avocation migrate toward the kitfox for this very reason.

I'm amazed and so very pleased to learn from you all that the advertised useful load figures for the KF are not only real, but accurate with very appreciable performance to boot!

Thanks for sharing the pic and story Av8r3400.

So all is set for tomorrow, Paul has agreed to meet me in the late afternoon in Boise and I've booked an hour of his time in the Super Sport he teaches in. I'm really looking forward to this!

I wish you safety and blue skies.

Let us know what you think.

Cheers

DAT
    DAT
    Model V
    912 UL - Xtra
    IVO IFA prop

Hi All,

So I made it to Boise this past week and all worked out schedule wise with Paul Leadabrand at Stick & Rudder and at the Kitfox factory.

The short story...I must make one of these wonderful machines MINE!

The plane is exactly what I have always thought it would be from all perspectives. To address one of the key questions in my original post here, yes a large man fits in the Kitfox, and actually quite comfortably.

Paul isn't the smallest of men and he and I could share the cockpit quite nicely, course your going to be rubbing shoulders but so what. Headroom was adequate, though if I tilted my head back a bit past vertical it did contact a metal bar, nothing a little padding couldn't address.

All controls and switches were well within reach and capable of full range of movement. As for visibility, it is a dream.

The only change I would make to the way Paul's LSA is set up would be to move the throttle up a few inches and possible to the right (he had me sitting left seat) as my knee was in contact with it most of the flight.

John McBean and his crew at the factory were quite nice, communicative and welcoming. I enjoyed seeing the facilities and several Kitfox's in various stages of construction.

Paul is very knowledgeable about all things Kitfox, a poised and confident flyer, and from what I could gleam from the short time we got to spend together, a competent and motivated instructor. When the time comes I plan to avail myself of his instructional services.

As for flying in the Kitfox...well....WOW what a blast, I've been smiling all week. I met Paul at Western Aircraft the FBO at Boise (BOI).

He gave me a quick briefing on the plane, ascertained my general knowledge about flying and the Kitfox then invited me to climb in.

Paul's Bose noise canceling headsets do the trick, if you haven't tried them...do!

So we headed out of Boise for the factory in Homedale, the plane climbed quickly a couple thousand feet and Paul let me get a feel for how responsive the controls are...which is to say...be amazed at how little one needs to move anything to make the plane dance a bit...again, WOW and I NEED one of these

The time at the factory was great, Paul gave me the complete tour and I was able to meet quite a few of the staff (it was after 5:00 so not everyone was there) and I was glad to have the opportunity to talk to John and his wife.

On our way back to BOI Paul decided to show me the "fun side" of flying the Kitfox and we did some low and slow sight seeing down the river and through the fields. I got a taste of the planes off field ability as Paul put her down on an old dirt crop duster strip that slopes up a hill.

I took some video of the return flight and the off field landing and posted it on YouTube, go here to see the videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/KitfoxDr.../5/QGFdZgkWdD0

I could keep rambling on and on...I really enjoyed it that much but I have a house full of friends and family waiting for me to fire up the grill so I will warp it up here along with some pictures from the day.

If any of you ever bring your planes to Northern or Central Coast California PLEASE reach out, I would love the opportunity to see your planes and pick your brains over a beer or a meal...

Paul & I at the factory about to climb in for the return flight.

How we fit in the plane.

Paul's cockpit.

Frame jig at the factory.

More jigs.

All the bits and pieces.