Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Physical fit and true useful load question.

Default Physical fit and true useful load question.

Hi All,

I just joined the board today so my apologies if these questions have been covered multiple times before.

So, I have been an admirer of the Kitfox from afar for quite some time, and a dreaming, plotting, planning future builder since I was a kid, at 44 that's been quite awhile now!

Life is coming around to where it may be possible for me to start a project in the next 24 months.

I chose the profile name BigAir on here because...well...I'm big At 6'3 1/2" with broad shoulders and tipping it at 275 pounds many of the STOL two place options on the market are just too small for me both pilot fit wise but more importantly useful load wise.

Having never flow in a Kitfox, or for that matter sat in one I put the question to you all...will I fit?

For those of you who have built Series 7 planes, what is the reality when it comes to useful load for a plane that is standardly equipped, probably with a 100hp 912 on the nose, though I do love the look and sound of the R2800.

Thanks all, and if any of you ever fly into the greater Monterey Bay area, I would love to meet up and check out your plane.

Default Re: Physical fit and true useful load question.

I have not built one myself; but I believe you will find that a KF 5-6-7 will be about 800 or so empty, and max gross will be 1550 unless someone limits it to 1320 to make it LSA. The MFG (builder) gets to set the max gross, though many builders leave that blank on the data plate. So 750 useful less any extra equipment added, and less fuel of about 28 gallons. You have lift left for 2 guys about your weight without baggage. The issues will be other dimensions. Shoulder room, leg room, etc. Better go find one to sit in and see. I sat in a very nice KF 6 at an airshow recently. The owner was very willing to show it off.
    Last edited by DBVZ; 09-14-2011 at 06:25 PM.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Best info I have on this is my buddy who is 6'4" 250. We fit in the plane together but a little tight. I'm 6'2" 190 and the plane is a 7, empty weight 800. I agree you need to find one and sit in it.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi , I am 6'2" and 230 lbs , I personally would not want anything smaller than my kitfox 5. my empty weight is 825 lbs, gross 1550 = useful load of 725 lbs
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Hi, I am 5'9" and weigh 250 lbs and
    boy do I feel fat right now !!!

I am 6'3" 250 + or - depending on season, My son is 6'1" 245 and we fit in our 5, now it is tight with us two big lugs. Have done several trips with my wife and luggage and she carries a lot so lets just say with luggage and her and me we are a good 500lbs, Flown into and out of a lot of very high density altitude airports with no problems.

Myself and passenger at 200lbs with about 30lb in luggage and 90lb of fuel I can at 3200' density get off the ground with no problem in less than 400'. I have the 912uls and wouldn't go any smaller, I fly with a couple of others that have avids and the jabiru 2200 and it would be just to small in the 5,6 or 7 kitfox.
    BigJohn
    Kitfox 5 Outback
    Rotax 912ULS With 1622cc Big Torque Zipper Conversion

Youtube BigJohn655
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BigJohn655

SPOT LINK:
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...OgrFSDFu8qvG6Q

Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated.

I had done the math on the posted useful load numbers, guess I was interested to see how "realistic" they were. No offense to the good folks at Kitfox, and maybe I am just a cynic at heart, but I always take performance numbers of anything, let alone aircraft with a grain of salt.

One of the main reasons I am so interested in the KF is the useful load of 750lbs. I think that is a number that works for even a big oaf as myself.

My gal is quite petite, I won't post her weight because I not THAT stupid, but suffice it to say, she and I, a full load of fuel and the 150 baggage limit would have us well under 750.

Can't say I know of any other plane in this class/size that offers as much useful load with any sort of track record behind it.

I suspect the majority of my flight time will be solo, but I fully agree with you all that I need to crawl into a 7 and try one on for size.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions, and if any of you find yourself in my neck of the woods I would be happy to buy you a cup of coffee or a beer to pick your brains a bit.
    Last edited by BigAir; 09-14-2011 at 09:58 PM.

I'm also new to the site and just figuring the Kitfox out. I'm 6'4" 250. My 5 is 832 lbs empty with 1550 lb gross. With both of us and full fuel we will fit and be below gross and within CG. I'm wide at the shoulder and my height is in my torso. I felt that the bubble doors would provide more shoulder room and comfort than the standard doors so they are being added. No problem with the leg room with the adjusting pedals. Mine has the Rotax 912UL. It's a little anemic with temps nearing 100. With the big loads, the 912 S would be welcome. Lighter, it's a lot of fun as it is.

DAT

Hi Dat, thanks for your input. Sounds like we are built similarly. My height comes from my torso as well. I'm 6'3 1/2" but my inseam is only 32. I'm also wide at the shoulder, I wear a 52 long athletic cut suit coat...have fun finding that on the rack

Have you installed the bubble doors yet? If so do you feel more comfortable with them? Do they affect flight at all? To be honest I didn't know that was an option. Have a picture of them?

I booked some time with Paul Leadabrand. He does training in a Supersport. I'm tall and big and Paul is tall and thin. The Kitfox has lots of room and performs well.

If you have any doubt, I would book some time with him and his kitfox. You can find information on the Kitfox site under training.