Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: floats, which ones

Default Re: floats, which ones

How many RPM are you turning on takeoff?? Just for comparison, on my 582 powered avid, with the prop set for cruise ( IVO IFA 72") I will only turn 48-5200 on take off on floats and it will not get on step. With the IFA I can flatten it out and turn 6500 and then feed in pitch to keep the RPM and EGT under control as I gain speed. If it is the old style amphib gear, I would not use them for much more than beaching.. The 1220 are a little small for the KF or Avid and the 1450 work MUCH better!

Default Re: floats, which ones

The weight difference between our planes is more likley the difference in the floats, or more specifically the landing gear on your floats. You could try removing the gear and see if that makes much difference.

BUT if it were me, before doing anything I'd give that IVO prop a try. I'd suggest the IFA 72" 3-blade ultralight version (do not let them sell you "plus" blades or the patriot blade...they have too much built in pitch for the 80 hp 912). That is going to be the best way to make the best use of all 80 ponies that 912 has. That GSC prop is kind of a nice looking wood prop, but the IVO (ground adjustable or especially the IFA) will greatly outperform it. I'm convinced if I didn't have the IVO on my plane that I would have already installed a 912s in the quest for better performance on floats. But because of the prop, the 80 works fine.

You could also opt to install high compression pistons in your 912ul (I believe Lockwood still sells the pistons) that will up the horsepower by about 10 or 11 hp. That too is likely to help your situation.

After that, if things are still not satisfactory I would suggest a harder look at the floats and the rigging.