Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: False rib kit

Default False rib kit

I intend to order my SS in the next two to three months. Between now and then I am going to throw some questions to the forum to help me decide what options that I want. So let me start with the false rib kit. Is it necessary? Does it add much weight? Or is it just cosmetic?
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Default Re: False rib kit

I bought the false rib kit option. I did it because I thought it would help by giving the fabric a little more support across the leading edge. There's just too much open space in that area for me.

(hoping to get the wings mounted in the next two weeks).
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

I agree with Tom
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

we are building a ss also with the false rib kit and using the composit leading edge kit on the wings. the wings are covered and look great.
    in talking with john he felt that that new leading edge would be faster in cruise and slower in stall, but had not done any flite test as yet.
    to me the great looks are worth the money, " just my two cents worth"

Of course you can build the wing with or without the false ribs. If you build without them, the leading edge fabric will probably be susceptable to some deformation due to the ram air over the leading edge.

Look at the pictures and you can see that there are three false ribs placed between every full rib. It seems to me that the support provided by the false ribs will likely cut down on any possible deformation from the ram air on this area above the leading edge and maintain a better airfoil shape from the leading edge and up over the top of the wing.

Just another thought, if you ever think you might want to add vg's then with the false ribs installed you will have a much better area (stiffer, more consistant shape surface etc.) to install them when compared to not using them.

Now I have never flown a fox without the false ribs so I don't have any first hand performance experience but this just reflects my thinking.

If I recall correctly, there are something like a total of 84 false ribs used for the wings. I didn't weight them at the time of the build, but with hysol and varnish you probably add a couple of pounds additional.
    Attached Images Attached Images

a few pic,s of the composit l/e.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow that looks nice, wonder how much work to retrofit
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

The pictures said it all. I am definitely sold on the false ribs. Thanks everyone for your input. Next question--what is anyone's opinion of the Nose Gear Kit? I am considering ordering both although I am leaning toward the tail wheel for the most part. I will be flying into some of our beautiful backcountry strips. (Washington and Idaho). I have no experience with tail wheel but will be getting the training before I fly mine.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

If you plan on putting on big wheels or skis you will want the little wheel in the back.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive