Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: elevator degrees

Default elevator degrees

I read on the forum a KitFox 7 elevator needs 20 degrees up and 39 degrees down.
    How's that compared to a KitFox IV?? I can' t find anything about it in the manual.
    Any reply highly appreciated.....

Default Re: elevator degrees

You have it backwards. The model 7 SS has 39 degrees up elevator and 20 degrees down elevator.

Hans,

Ditto what John said - although I believe the manual gave a tolerance of + or - 1 degree. Mine is set at 20 and 40 - I also have the trim tab elevator and I know you don't want to have less up than what is called for - the tabs work the reverse of the elevator essentially un-doing a little bit of the "elevating" when the elevator is full up.

I think that is one of the reasons John Mc Bean went back to the solid elevator with movable HS on the current model.

Dave S

The manual says the Model IV elevator should be 30-35° up. Since what determines the up limit is when the rod end on the aft end of the push pull tube hits the rudder post, the builder is to adjust the system so that the stick hits the front of the seat as the rod end hits the tail post. In other words, dont' let the stick impacting the structure determine elevator travel. Down elevator angle is not mentioned except the statement that there will be plenty. The up stop on the elevator will be found at least once on each flight on a tail dragger, but the down limit will never be used.

Lowell