Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ready to cover the wings

Default ready to cover the wings

Cover wings before the fuselage?
    Does it matter?
    Check list before I cover,, etc, pulleys on, cables in, ___________?
    One piece for bottom, shrink then stitch rivet, then do top, rivet, then tape over that?
    3 inch tape around perimeter of wing?
    Use the piece I cut out to do flaps and ailerons?

Is there a check list out there or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks, Don.

Default Re: ready to cover the wings

For what its worth. Rib lacing is easy to do. It took me about 10 hrs per wing. This was my first time and had no help. Just the manual to read.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks Tom and I'm sure it's the way to go. The Kitfox has a little more speed than the Highlander. The Stewarts tech was very emphatic about really not being necessary to stitch or rivet. I heard of some who have not and so far so good so I would rather not . I believe the aerodynamics of a smooth service is the best thing you can do to achieve a cleaner, faster, less drag airplane.
    Of course, if your fabric comes loose it's a big waste of time to redo! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by xpflyr View Post

The maker of the Stewarts system[sic] which is what I'm using tells me I don't need to do either one. He says the glue is strong enough and the speeds are such that rivets or stitching are not needed.
    I think for the sake of looks and aerodynamics, I might go without.
    That advice seems to contradict the published Stewart Systems recommendations.

From the Stewart Systems Procedures Manual Section 6 page 1.
    "Fabric is attached to cap strips in many ways, rib lacing, screws with fabric washers, rivets and wire clips. All of these methods require the use of reinforcing tape under the attaching device. Do not rely on cement to hold fabric to cap strips."

Who at Stewart Systems told you to ignore the procedures manual for a Kitfox?

Now I'm sure there are some builders that got a certificate without lacing, that doesn't mean everyone will. Check with your DAR before you omit rib lacing. Normally the DAR wants to see you complied with accepted practices and procedures in the manufacturer's manuals. It would be a shame to finish and paint your aircraft then have the DAR reject your certificate for lack of lacing.

The Consolidated Aircraft Coatings Poly Fiber manual makes reference to the ultralight movement using glue alone but cautions, "... any ultralight or very light aircraft you plan on keeping for more that just a couple of years needs rib lacing." and; "...fabric cements were never meant to be the sole means of attaching fabric to ribs, even 1" ribs."

So neither Stewart nor Consolidated publishes any recommendation for omitting lacing at any speed.

And finally, even if you get it approved by the DAR, when you go to sell the airplane without lacing it could be a deal breaker.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

John, I would estimate that 90% of the Kitfoxes flying now do not have any mechanical attachment of the fabric to the ribs other than glue.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

my wings were covered and painted when i acquired the kit and they werent stiched . i wish they had been and i have considered doing it in the future . that being said , i have opened both wngs to install the large gas tanks . the fabric that i did remove from the ribs was certainly securely attached . i would still feel better if they were stiched
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I tend to agree with Larry. I think most of the cover manual recommendations focus on the quarter inch wide wood or metal rib capsstrips that are common in many airplanes. I would suspect if we were the flys on the wall during the design stage on these airplanes, talk would be about the inch wide capstrips - glue - simplicity. Forum talk about rib lacing was fairly late in coming, and the vast majority of flying Kitfoxes are not riblaced. My decision to riblace was pioneering somewhat. A little note, when I bought my first Kit in 1993, they were shipping forty (40) kits a month vs. today's three or four. The build community was enormous- likely four to six hundred or more active builders.

Lowell

I've owned and flown 3 different Avids, none of them were rib stiched and all gave no problems. When I recovered my Avid MK IV two years ago, I didn't ribstich it either. It was just fine when I flew it for almost 2 hrs this evening, and in the almost 250 hrs it's flown since I recovered it. Last summer when I covered my Kitfox 4 however, I decieded to rib stich it. Part of the reason was that I bought some left over rolls of tape and rib stich cord for next to nothing and felt like trying it. It really was kind of fun and didn't take all that long, maybe 3 or 4 hrs per wing. Back when I was flying ultralights, my Himax with 1/4" wide wood ribs was just glued, and it worked fine also. At any rate, don't be afraid of rib stiching if you think you need it as rib stiching is not all that hard to do. Take care, Jim ChukAvid MK IV (flying)Kitfox 4 (building... slowly)northern Mn

OK… here’s my take on Lacing vs. not

I checked with the three major manufacturers.

Stewart Systems is the only manufacturer of fabric covering materials that will commit in writing to omitting rib lacing in some cases. However, you will note they recommend you do it anyway to add a layer of protection.

My query sent to Stewart:

The installation manual 2/09 rev #2, clearly states rib lacing or other mechanical means must be used to attach fabric to wings for all aircraft along with a caution "Do not rely on cement to hold fabric to cap strips." However, I am hearing reports of verbal approval by Stewart Systems to omit lacing on an experimental aircraft with a Vne of 140 mph. Is this true? Are you amending the instructions and recommendations in the installation manual?

Thanks for the clarification.
    John Pitkin

The reply from Stewart systems

For certified aircraft you need to follow the manufactures attachment
    methods. For experimental you can do as you please. Our EkoBond glue
    has about 3 times the shear strength of the solvent based glues. We
    are also the only system certified that does not require any sewn
    seams and a 1" fabric to fabric glue joint is acceptable. If you have
    a 3/4" wide cap strip on the rib I would not hesitate to glue the
    fabric directly to the rib in lieu of rib stitching or riveting. That
    being said I personally would rib stitch because it's fast, easy, and
    just that much more protection. If you decide to sell the aircraft in
    the future lack of a mechanical attachment of the fabric to the ribs
    may deter certain buyers.

Regards,

Jason Gerard
    Stewart Systems
    1-888-356-7659

www.stewartsystems.aero

The other major covering and coatings companies, Randolph Products (Seconite) and Consolidated (Poly Fiber) do not recommend glue-only rib attachment under any circumstances.

Without trying to sound like I’m standing on my soapbox… Frankly, it doesn’t matter how many Kitfoxes have omitted rib lacing in the past. Although early Kitfoxes omitted rib lacing, many were flying at lower weights and speeds. The aircraft has grown and a model 7SS wing now is lifting 700 more pounds than the Model 1. The Vne has increased from 100 to 140 mph. That’s a lot more shear on the fabric. Anyone building a current Model IV or 7 without lacing probably is pushing the envelope.

I know there are some builders out there who will say they’ve flown a bazillion hours with nothing but Scotch Tape and mucilage holding the fabric on and never had a problem. Thank your lucky stars.

Face it folks, general aviation has an abysmal safety record and experimental aviation is even worse. That alone should whap you along side of your head to do everything possible to ensure your aircraft is the safest you can build. Does that mean loading your aircraft with safety stuff to the point it only carries you and a tooth brush? No! But it does mean to use materials, procedures and techniques that provide a balance of safety vs. cost and weight.

If you are considering omitting lacing, consider the following:
    Weight -Lacing adds a negligible weight. We’re talking a few ounces for an entire airplane.
    Airflow - Aerodynamics are virtually unaffected. The lacing cord is low profile and is covered with cloth tape making the bumps barely visible. I doubt any difference in cruise or stall speed could be measured.
    Labor- The labor involved is maybe six hours, tops… hardly worth writing home about when considering the total time required to build a plane.
    Expense - Not much more than a hamburger lunch.
    Appearance - Oh, yes… the prettiness factor. No lacing bumps looks nicer than bumpy… That’s a hoot! I never hear anyone say a Staggerwing Beech is ugly because it has rib lacing!!! Real pilots will know what the bumps are for and non-pilots won’t know and won’t care if you have them or not.

I think this is one of those issues where it’s time to stop the madness of doing the minimum just because you can. Rib lacing adds a huge layer of safety, costs very little, adds negligible weight and doesn’t harm the aerodynamics one bit. I see absolutely no benefit to omitting rib lacing other than reducing the build time.

That’s just this builder’s opinion.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

XP - Can you explain what rivet stitching is? Are you Riveting the fabric to the ribs or is this a different type of tied stitch?

(For the record, I plan of stitching my IV-1200 rebuild project, too. Mostly because it is going to be a high-speed hotrod... )
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos