Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iceland Fox, new member.

Default Re: Iceland Fox

man are you bringing back the memories. I to flaired to soon, my first landing took out the bungies, had a real quick lesson on replacing those buggers.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

back when I was in high school and was taking flight training, a friend of mine had a condition we classed as FOG (Fear Of Ground). Good old one bounce Roger, he would flare the 172 at 4 foot on a regular basis. Made for some exciting go arounds!
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

My instructor said I had commercial airlineridas. Meaning I started my flair early like the bigun's
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

We´ll now I have 6.7 hrs and 48 landings. I´m getting the hang of it although the landings are still not as short as I would like them to be.

We had a nice day yesterday, about 10mph wind with about 30° crosswind so I had a chance to practice x-wind landings.

Awesome picture! Looking like the ol' pro! Keep practicing.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I hope everything is well in Iceland, everything is going Soc- - - - South in the US!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Hi Paul

It´s the same here. The nation is going to the dogs here also. The situation is pretty bad. Foreign debt is so high no one knows how to repay it all. Taxes have increased so much that people are leaving the country.

Walter

I'm in the same case...new flyer off that fantastic machine.

My final at 60 and hard to land without bounce i saw that if i arrive more higher in speed the plane didn't want to go down i'm too up of the plan. Do you use the flaps. I put a lot but he don't want to go down quick. I make a aircraft landing and not a ULaircraft approach. What is the best method to land on short runway 1000 feet ?

Other problem, how to know the degrees i putted for the flaperons ? No marks on the handle and i saw that if you put too much, you'll lost roll efficiency. How can i put a maximum limit mark on the handle or a crank to stop it ?
    Last edited by GDN; 04-16-2010 at 12:37 PM.

try this .. on approach say 1500 AGL for landing slow to your near 65 mph..apply just enough flaperon to drop the nose about 2 to 3 degree's ,..now back presure to hold your nose on the horizon,.. cut your power slightly and give her left rudder and right aeleron ,now put your nose about 12 degrees up..she will slip like a pro,..when your about 500 AGL start bringing her out of the slip ( until you master it ,..then you can bring her out right at ground level) once your straight and headed for the numbers,..adjust power to get you were you want to be for touch down target,.. when your about 3 feet above the surface pull back your power easily,..when you feel her sink apply a little back pressure on the stick,..she should settle right down on an almost 3 point position mains first. once your mains are settled apply your brakes with stick in your lap.

If the 2 to 3 degree's of flaperon isn't enough ..next time around go for 4 to 5 degree's ..it doesn't take much input on flaperon control to make a difference,.. I'm going to take a stab that 3/4" to 1 inch up from bottom will be the sweet spot for pilot alone,at about 50 mph..and possibly 1 inch to 1.5 inch for pilot co pilot ,..that's a good safe place to start,..once you get that mastered you can work on shortening the process,..set up the same way ..but a little steeper and at 5 to 10 AGL depending on your sink rate,.apply more flap and less power,..she'll almost set down and and stop in the same breathe,..if bouncing is an issue loose a lb or 2 of air pressure in the tires until you can grease your landings,..
    the biggest problem with the light planes ..watch your ASI not your visual ground speed until you get as good feel for the plane

hope this helps

Chase

Hi guy´s thanks for all the good advice.

I have now mastered the 3 point landings. It was just a question of practice. I can now land really short and smooth so I´m really happy with the plane.

Have a total of 15 hrs time in it now.