Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the best shipping option?

Default what is the best shipping option?

my kit's not due for delivery until july but i'm already thinking about how i'm going to get it. i'd like to hear from you all about your experiences; who did you use for shipping or did you rent a truck? costs? does anyone know how much partain charges? i'm in florida. thanks,ken

Default Re: what is the best shipping option?

Ken,

I'm still in wishful thinking mode, but I shot Mr. Partain an email and he pretty quickly responded with a shipping estimate. His ad is on the left over there.

Doug
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

I had my kit delivered by Partin. Price was comparable to what it would have cost me to travel to Idaho and pick it up with my own trailer (fuel ,food, motel). They were at my place when they said they would be and everything was in good shape.

Dick B in KY

I used Partain. His price is slightly less than other motor freight outfits because you don't have to pay for crating. He carries everything in a big box trailer towed behind a dually The kit arrives in great shape. Nothing was damaged. He is very familiar with transporting kit airplanes and shows ultimate care in handling. I would use him again.

The only negative is you must wait for him to schedule a pickup in Idaho. So it might take an extra two weeks. I was lucky and my kit was ready when he came through Homedale. I only waited a few days.

Partain is great about calling and letting you know the transit time and when he will be there. He arrived at my home exactly as planned.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

Smile Re: what is the best shipping option?

This is our third kit plane to build. We've never had them shipped, but instead picked them up and brought them back to Alabama. The first kit was a 701 from the Zenith Aircraft Factory in Mexico, MO. We made a crate to put the kit in and screwed it to the floor of my buddy's trailer. Drove up and spent the night. The next morning the guys at the factory loaded it in our crate. We drove back the same day.

The next kit was another 701 that we bought from the estate of a builder (will never do that again). It was in northwestern Az. Flew to Las Vegas, rented a Budget van and drove to Golden Valley, AZ and loaded it in the van and brought it back to Alabama.

For the KFSS, I compared having it shipped by the local shipper Partain, and us flying up to Boise and renting another Budget Van and bringing it back ourselves. The costs for two one-way tickets on Southwest, fuel for the van, hotels, food, etc. were about the same. I allowed 5 days to drive back to Anniston, AL. We could have made it in less time, but I scheduled 500 +- miles a day and we were back in Anniston about noon on the 5th day. Would I do that again, over having it shipped? Yes. Because the adventure, the chance to touch based with the fine people at the factory, seeing all the fabulous sights along the way, and etc. made it all worthwhile.

Of course you have to have the time. I'm retired and my building partner is self-employed so we both could schedule it. If you haven't, I suggest you meet the folks at the factory and put a face on the folks you are going to be dealing with.

Tommy Walker
    Anniston, AL

Something else to check on is sales tax. It used to be you had to pay Idaho sales tax if you picked it up yourself.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

...then you will have to pay your local sales tax, too.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Not sure about other states, but in California it is my understanding that if you buy something out of state and pay that state's sales tax you are not required to pay tax to California. If, on the other hand, you somehow avoid the local tax you are then required to pay tax to California. They do not call it sales tax, but rather "use tax".

I'll bet you'll have to pay some sort of use/sales tax when you go to register the plane...

This is the same if you buy a car from a dealer out of state, then go to register it in your home state. The Governor always gets his share...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

If you're buying aircraft parts from outside your state and not paying tax to your state as you go, you'll get hit with a bill at the end. If you physically travel to the other state to purchase them and pay tax to that state, you will not be liable for tax in your state (unless your state has a higher rate, in which case you will have to make up the difference). You will not have to pay both.

See any number of websites regarding "use tax".