Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: polybrusch/spray quantity

Cool polybrusch/spray quantity

Hello KF builders

In the catalog from skystar they use 2 gallon polybrush into the covering kit.
    I have recently received the catalog from Polyfiber and they say You need for a J-3 cub 10 gallon plybrush and 11 gallon polyspray.

What I need for my KF 4, is a J-3 cub so much bigger?

I need to order the right quantity in once because i don't have a suplier in my region.

Thank You

Default Re: polybrusch/spray quantity

I think I may have used 3 or 4, definitely not 10
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I'm with Dorsal on this one. I covered and painted my IV last Summer and Fall. It would be my guess, that three gallons would do it. Shipping an extra gallon if needed wouldn't come close to the cost of seven extra gallons.

Eric,

I went back and checked my receipts before answering this one - I find that I purchased 6 gallons of poly brush and 8 gallons of polyspray and 5 gallons of reducer - that was for a series 7 KF. Had less than a gallon each of PB & PS left when finished - and I had used up the reducer. A Kitfox should use less than a cub; however, 2 gallons for the polybrush seems inadequate to me.

The PF guy explained that the polyspray is critical to preventing UV damage to the fabric and he said that most people don't put on enough - when doing the poly spray - I used the flashlight/troublelight method to make sure the polyspray had no thin spots - it has to block out the light because the top coat won't.

The other deal is a person has to remember that these materials are mostly solvent - a gallon of polybrush does not leave ten pounds of solids on the airplane; but, an adequate coat will make a nice smooth surface on the end product (if that is what a person is looking for).

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp

I recovered my Model 4 fuselage, gear legs and rudder this winter. I used 1.5 gallons of brush, 2 gallons of spray and 2 gallons of Poly Tone White. Ohh, and 2 gallons of reducer.

Cain B