Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Inspection ??

Default Pre-Inspection ??

This question maybe a little late in the game since all my fabric work is done, but is a pre-inspection required during the building phase of a KF3 ?

Default Re: Pre-Inspection ??

Was not for me.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

probably not , but depends on what your dar requires . seem it varies from dar to dar or in different areas . mine didnt even require the wing tips removed or the inspection plates opened . wouldnt hurt to find a dar in your area and give him a call and see exactly what they are interested in . if nothing else it will remove the mystery of the process and you will know what to expect when the time comes to get a/w inspection done . also you can get an idea of what they are going to charge which seems to vary
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I agree completely with Cap, keep you DAR involved and it will make final inspection go much more smoothly.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

On my current project ,..which isn't a kit,..but the process is the same evidently ,..my DAR has told me that she doesn't want to see the plane until it is completed and ready to fly,.. I call her every 6 months or so just to touch base ,..but I also have 3 A&P's and an AI that I keep in touch with concerning the build on a regular basis,..more so to witness the build in case their are any questions on who built it ( just in case I have to change my DAR or she get's transfered etc),..aside from photo's and bills of sale for materials.

Chase
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 02-18-2011 at 08:43 AM.

I did like Sky Pirate is doing. I haven't kept up on the rules but back in the mid 90's some inspectors expected to see that a "Knowledgeable person" had made inspections during the construction. It was not required that the "Knowledgeable person" sign an entry in the construction log.

I made entries in my builder's log of a couple A&P mechanics that had looked over my work and one when my EAA chapter had a meeting in my shop and inspected the work in progress.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

As I recall, in the old days a pre inspection was mandated by the FAA. Then the rules changed - not so now. One issue not mentioned so far is insurance. When I finished my first project in 1998, Avenco would write first flight insurance if you had a pre-cover inspection by an EAA tech counselor. Not sure the policies now, but It seems to me that in the real world, the insurance companies have sort of become defacto enforcers of the FARs.

Thanks, that was good information. Thinking about adding an inspection ring between every rib just in case somebody wants to take a look, What are you guys thoughts on this? I have three on each wing currently.

3 per sounds like plenty to me, I used 2 on one side and 1 on the other.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Thinking about adding an inspection ring between every rib just in case somebody wants to take a look, What are you guys thoughts on this?
    Sounds like extra effort for little return.

We put zero inspection rings in my wings per my Tech Counselor. He'd help build 38 Kitfox's at the time so I went with his recommendation. Nothing to inspect. No moving parts, pulleys, cables, pins, bolts, push rods, fuel lines ect. If the DAR wants to look in the wings just leave the tips off. He/she can see the whole thing from the end. Not sure what they'll be looking for though. Maybe to admire your beautiful rib stitching job. If in doubt glue in the inspection ring reinforcement ring and don't cut out the fabric until you really need to look in there, which you won't.

Some people put one next to the pitot tube in case someone runs into it at an airshow with their hat and breaks it off (it happens). I mounted my pitot tube inboard one rib so it's protected by the strut. No one runs into mine. Works perfect there. Again thanks to my Tech Counselor (Murle Williams) for that mod. and all the rest on my Kitfox.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear